1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Third time rear coil spring broken

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Pomegranate, Jan 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've not been lucky with rear coil springs. 2006 Prius, owned since 2016 / 148k miles:

Oct 2017 152k, right coil spring broken. Both sides replaced.
    Oct 2021 167k, left coil spring broken. Left side only replaced.
    Dec 2023 169k, sounds like right coil spring has broken.

I have it booked into the shop for Tuesday to confirm, but this is disappointing. I'm wondering if there are bad aftermarket springs out there? I don't know what brand went on there in 2017 (it was a UK chain tyre/exhaust place, not Toyota).

Aside from just replacing the right spring again, is there anything I should do to stop it happening again? Do both sides? Toyota parts? Anything with the struts or other suspension components worth doing at the same time?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is rear coils only and not having any trouble with the front struts? It's quite interesting so are you bunny hopping down non-paved roads it pretty good speeds like a lot of my UK buddies would be doing even they so much that I have heard have not had really spring problems on Prius or vibe or matrix so I'm not sure I don't know of any bad runs and springs I used to have my springs wound right down the road from TRD's original shop in California this is way back in the mid '80s I didn't know springs could be this problematic unless they're really being beat on bunny hopping jumping up and down dirt roads with big holes so on and so forth.

3. Pomegranate

Pomegranate New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No troubles with front struts, no off roading. UK roads are quite potholed these days, and I used to live somewhere I had to go over 3 speed bumps just to go anywhere so that probably doesn't help. When it let out a loud twang just before Christmas I had just gone over a speed bump. I don't often have a lot of weight in the car, but I suppose the weight of the battery in the back is enough.

But I've never broken a spring in another vehicle, and three on this one seems like misfortune. Or maybe the first replacement was bad?

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Anything is possible but my goodness I go over quite a bit of speed bumps and parking lots at speeds not made for the speed bumps right regularly in my old generation too and we go down dirt roads and a long property lines and things like that not at break next speed mind you but dang three coil springs broken I don't think I've broken three in my whole life and I'm old but that is just wild.