1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This is America. We don't jail journalists here.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by PriuStorm, Sep 3, 2008.

1. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I put this in FHOP because the issue itself is not politics, but I realize it may quickly get out of hand and understand the topic may get moved. I don't post it to offend anyone, but merely to call attention to this because the mainstream media doesn't seem to be covering it at all. Did any journalists get jailed at the DNC?

Jailing journalists is unacceptable in a democracy. But that's exactly what is happening at the Republican National Convention in St. Paul, Minn.
    Award winning journalist and host of "Democracy Now" Amy Goodman was arrested by St. Paul police while covering a protest outside the Republican National Convention. Though clearly identified as press, Goodman was charged with "obstruction of a legal process and interference with a 'peace officer.'" Two of her producers were arrested for "suspicion of felony riot."
    This video is upsetting, but you deserve to know what's really going on.
    Goodman and her producers were released last night. (An AP photographer was also arrested and released). But the charges are still pending.
    This story has been virtually ignored by the mainstream press. The cable channels are providing extensive coverage of events related to the Republican National Convention, but there has been a virtual news blackout on the arrest of Amy Goodman and the Democracy Now team.
    Americans deserve to know that journalists are being jailed for trying to do their jobs. E-mail CNN President Jonathan Klein and NBC News President Steve Capus today (NBC News controls MSNBC) to demand coverage of this brutally important story.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Journalists or not, no one gets a free pass to break the law. That video is too short to show the entire story. If she was just standing on the sidelines doing her job, then yes, it was an abuse of police power. On the other hand, if she was in the way and ignored a direct order to move, then she gets arrested. I can't tell from the video.

Tom

3. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Amy Goodman Speaks, Just After Release From Jail

Ten thousand people took to the streets in St. Paul, MN earlier today, and 284 people were arrested. Among those was Democracy Now's Amy Goodman. FSRN reporter Aura Bogado spoke with her shortly after her release:

Amy Goodman: I was here just a few hours ago covering the convention on the floor. Then I heard that two of our reporters had been arrested down on Jackson and 7th. So i rushed to the site where our producers were arrested. And I demanded to speak to the commanding officer and so they arrested me. They manhandled me and threw me to the gorund, and handcuffed me behind my back, I still have...

Aura Bogado: Your wrists are still red... How did it feel when you were being picked up?

AG: I felt like it was very wrong and I was very angry and very concerned about our two reporters who've just been released, Sharif and Nicole, who were simply doing their job. Reporters asre the eyes and eyes. they're what protect democracy. when those eyes are shut, when the ears are closed, democracy is threatened, and that's what they do when they arrest journalists.
    I was in there for a few hours. they charged me with a misdemeanor, interstingly with obstructing a "peace officer." Officers should act as peace officers, that is a very good idea. Ultimately, I was let out and our reporters were just let out. They were originally charged with Probable Cause Felony just because they went to cover protests that were taking place here on Labor Day.

AB: This is a lot about what [the National Lawyers Guild] has been tlaking about in terms of infringing on the right of the press to cover what's going on.

AG: It's not about me in particular, a lot of people are being arrested. It has to stop. People have to be able to express their points of view peacefully without being hindered. There have been a number of preemptive arrests this weekend.
    When I was in jail, actually, I asked a police officer what he thought of these preemptive arrests, people who don't commit cries but their houses are raided. He said, "They're awesome, they're awesome." This is not the best of what America represents, but we can be so much better and that's why it's important to have journalists.

4. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

This longer video, Amy's report after the events, shows a little more at the front end of Amy's arrest as she literally ran at/to the police line, was asked to move back, continued to confront the police about the arrest of Salazar and was arrested.

Now, I think the press should have a little liberty to do their jobs, but they've got to comply with direct orders and can protest to the proper authorities later. I'm not impressed by the behavior of either side, but I'm not condemning the police.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a bit worrisome that the secret service took their press credentials away from them.

6. PriuStorm

PriuStorm Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Agreed.

7. EJFB1029

EJFB1029 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That whole event was handled extremely badly, the police were really out of line with the press, especially allowing personal property to be taken away by a complete stranger, after being arrested. The police have a job to do, but the press is the last bastion of democracy we have left, they need to be able to do their job also, to protect the public from abuse of power.

8. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I certainly believe this could have been handled much better. We really don't know what caused the original group to be detained, but what we can certainly comment on is what we do have on video. I do not believe the woman asking about her colleagues should have been arrested for inquiring about them. It appears as if she was brought across the police line by one of the police, then arrested. If she was dealt with better I don't believe it would have escalated to where it did.

On the other side of things, Democracy Now isn't exactly known for their unbiased reporting. I hope they weren't chanting or interfering with the arrests of others. The press is there to document events as they happen... almost be invisible, except when interviewing someone. We have no proof one way or the other, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt here and say they were just doing their job.

There's a lot of real wackos that demonstrate that these conventions from both the left and the right. I can probably clarify and say these wackos might not even be from the left or the right but just people that cause trouble wherever they are. You know, the people that turn over cars and light dumpsters on fire when their favorite team wins. Opportunists that look for excuses to cause trouble. Unfortunately good, law abiding citizens are sometimes grouped in with these people.

9. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    ...and I too think it's BS that the police allowed the secret service, or anyone, to remove property from the individual being detained. That's ridiculous.

10. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Of course this didn't happen at the DNC convention because the Democrats already put all the protesters and outside journalists into concentration camps. Oh wait, I mean the designated protest area surrounded by chain link fence and barbed wire.

One of the groups is actually called "Pepper Spray" productions???

And of course a Press pass is not a free ticket to ignore orders to get off the street by the police. Plus, anyone can yell "Press" "Press" how do those officers know that your credentials are valid in all that mess? They don't it takes vetting out later.

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Press Credentials are not a right, they are a privilege. They are distributed with a specific set of rules governing their rights and use.

I have worked with a Major Network News org, for many years now. I have walls of past "Creds" both for Sports, News, and other events the Network I work for cover.

Everytime I accept a credential for a event that I am participating in, I accept responsability to follow the rules, PERIOD.

Just because MSNBC choose to edit their footage of their reporter getting hauled off for violating the rules set forth by all parties in charge, thus giving a false sense of what really happened, does not make this reporter a saint.

I have worked with many people who misassume that their credential gives them rights above and beyond "Normal Folk".

WAKE UP, IT DOES NOT!!!

From the footage that I have seen, both the edited, and UNEDITED this person and her crew were IN THE WRONG and deserved to get called on the carpet for their violations!

Covering the story is one thing, Becoming the story is just wrong!

Thankfully this 8 month Proctology exam will soon be over, the world can return to going to hell, and we can drudge onward!

73 de Pat KK6PD

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I understand another journalist was sprayed with pepper spray for just walking into the building.

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I feel that way about journalists sometimes too. :D

Tom

14. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here we go again, spin, spin, spin.

Now look at the truth, When the police tell you once, then tell again you to stop, you do so or risk being cuffed press or not.

I wounder if these were the people who incited the riot I seen on TV .

15. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    So police run into a parking lot where a demonstration is going on, swinging clubs, knocking people to the ground without giving the protesters a chance to disperse, and in the case of the reporter Nicole, one cop put his boot on her, holding her on the ground, and demanding that she put her face on the ground, while simultaneously another cop pulled her backwards by one leg. Then a person who is not uniformed and refuses to identify himself, but who apparently is Secret Service, steals the press passes from several reporters and refuses to give them any kind of receipt.

A press pass is not a permit to break the law. But it is a permit to observe a newsworthy event in progress.

Sounds to me as though the cops wanted to prevent a peaceful demonstration, and didn't want any press coverage of their violent methods.

Of course this is not by any means the first time that reporters have been harassed, abused, or arrested in the U.S., but it does put the spotlight on the violent methods the authorities will use to try to prevent negative news coverage.

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm sure they'll get them back......AFTER the convention.

17. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Watching this thread is like watching a time bomb tick.

(Detonation is when the tread is moved to FHPolitics)

18. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Apparently they started rounding up journalists before the convention. They specially targeted independents, bloggers, videographers and anyone that might be documenting demonstrations. They arrested to journalism students and their teacher. They got warrants to enter houses and meetings. One wonders what laws these journalists were breaking aside from *being* journalists. Perhaps not being supportive yes-men to the right wing?

19. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a wise poster once said
    :pop2:​

Wildkow

20. thepolarcrew

thepolarcrew Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

:ear: Sounds to me like certain people in the press trying to get in the face of the police, looking for this sort of attention to bring shame on the system and make a name for themselves.

Oops, there's that evil, vile word, THE SYSTEM!:pop2: