1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

this is pushing it.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by galaxee, Dec 17, 2005.

1. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    as seen in the durham newspaper today:

for sale. toyota prius '02. 59,400 mi. must sell by 1/1/06. $16,600.

you have got to be kidding, man.

anyone else seeing this kind of insanity in their newspapers?

[edit: KBB private party value is 14,030 assuming 'good' condition...]

2. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    I just sold my '02 (blue moon pearl, former pkg 3--no nav) two months ago, with 55K mi., to the first person who looked at it, for $16K even. The market is inflated.

Edit: just double-checked kbb. Mine was in excellent condition (only a map light bulb replaced). Had added CD player (dealer) for $250 and it had front side bags.
    kbb private party = $16,275.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    wow. i've never seen a price like that on an 02! guess that market inflation is more than i expected!

4. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

It sure surprised me. I was expecting the value to be around $13-14,000. At first I thought, "well, kbb just isn't distinguishing between Gen 1 and Gen II Priuses." The I realized how stupid that is---it's the public, of course, that, at least until now, apparently hasn't made much distinction.

I guess that's to be expected. Word gets around---among at least some people---in the midst of a "gas semi-crisis"---about Prius---Prius---Prius. Some people don't look into differences in them from one year to the next; they just hear they're "hard to find" and rush out to find one. I had that impression about the young woman who bought mine.

To me, having owned both Gens I and II, the II is so much more car, I'd expect a bigger gap between them and '04s than there is. (Some low-mileage '03s have asking prices, at dealers, of around $20K!)

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Oops, double post.