1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This is what happened when I rented the Prius...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by macreative, Sep 3, 2004.

1. macreative

macreative New Member

Hi

When I rented the Prius for a week -- I noticed that when in reverse, if the gas engine kick on and you are backing up, your foot had better be on the break when backing up because it seems to give a slight speed "jolt" or boost in reverse. I came fairly close to bumping into a porsche in the parking lot of Takayo in San Clemente because my foot wasn't hard on the break. I know this sounds pretty dumb, but I wasn't expecting the engine to kick on - and/or provide a boost in speed.

This is probably just one of those things I have to get used to.... Any comments?

Also, in the Prius that I had - a Silver Pkg 7 Prius, at freeway speeds (I go 67), the Prius seemed to be a bit floaty in the steering. Is that because of Electrical Steering? I know the Prius isn't so light weight that it would jostle about on the freeway, right?

Sorry if this has been spoken about before, I don't always follow :)

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The high profile makes it susceptible to wind. The tires also get a lot of blame. Several people report replacing them with Hydroedges and getting better handling.

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm surprised by your observation in reverse. I've never noticed that. The gas engine cannot actually propel the car backwards. MG2 provides all the propulsive power in reverse. If the engine starts while you are backing up, the tendency should be to slow down the car, though the computer should compensate by revving up MG1 to compensate.

Go here, click on Understanding your Prius, and then on The Power-Split Device. Scroll down about 2/3 of the way to the picture of the Nomograph, and the explaination of it to the left of the diagram.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    the steering because its "drive by wire" does take some getting used to but i think you will find it preferable.

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I too have felt a kick on backing up but no evidence on the display. I guess I thought it was the MG2 revving up. The animated display does not show the ICE on and with the windows down I do not hear it. The ICE does not cut in until I go forward, at least by sound and animation. FWIW. We really need that scanner thingie.

6. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

there is an 8 second lag from time of start till the time the ICE cuts in. If in that time you shift into gear and start to move, when the ICE starts, MG1 powers up and gives a voltage boost to the system, and it will add extra power to MG2, which makes the car seem a bit more powerful. So if your not on the brakes and don't pay attention it does accelerate a bit. It does it in F and R but after about 20 stops and starts most drivers don't notice it. If you really pay attention you can feel a slight boost when the ICE starts.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Backing up: yeah. The first time I tested, I was surprised that when I dropped it into gear (either one) it definitely went. Reflexes and all kept it from going far. Since I was used to the lazy motions of a Buick, I just chalked it up to vehicle differences. Now that I've gotten nused to it, I just keep the foot on the brake.

Tomorrow will be my first long distance drive. I'm heading down the Tri-State Tollway about 60 miles. Will be my first experience with "flighty" highway speeds. I have everyone here to thank for warning me. :)

8. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just have a little patience Tony. i think you will find just as most of us has that drive by wire is the only way to go. if you are like me, occasional forays back to the old fashioned way will be avoided as much as possible and throughly detested when there is no other choice.

you will find that after a few weeks you will have adjusted then going back to a regular car will be not be welcome.