1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This is what our oil addiction helps pay for

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by San_Carlos_Jeff, Feb 10, 2006.

1. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone sent me this earlier today. It's been around awhile, but still the pictures are pretty amazing. The engineering is really cool (pun intended).

Dubai , United Arab Emirates

During the construction phase...

[attachmentid=2174]

All finished. Notice the palm trees outside (for scale)..........

[attachmentid=2175]

[attachmentid=2176]

Remember, this is in the middle of the desert....

[attachmentid=2177]

[attachmentid=2178]

Attached Files:

2. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Holy F*%$ing $hit...

Nate

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok

that is really cool... I mean holy sh@t. I'm not even gonna think about how much resources it takes to keep that place running.

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is awesome. For some reason, it doesn't bother me as much as those big, green golf courses that they have in the American southwest.

5. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Darn, and I thought the people around here had too much money. Sheesh. I'll bet they have a good old time with little inside jokes like 'the price of oil sure is high' :) I'm sure they raise a toast to all those goobers in the U.S. who insist on driving a gas guzzler to prove their manhood

6. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

sure would be "cool" to have something like that here in Central Florida...I'd rock that place!

8. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Probably less resources than water parks here in the US use to pump millions of gallons of water 100 feet high 12 hours a day.

9. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Almost as Alice-like as funding Iran's nuclear bomb development program, eh?

10. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I got that forwarded email the other day too. I would love to have the chance to visit Dubai someday, I hear it's gorgeous there. I remember a few years back there was this supposed project going on in Anaheim where they were going to build a large sports complex, including an indoor ski/snowboard complex similar to that one I imagine. Wonder whatever happened to that idea... :huh:

11. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've also heard there is something similar on Japan but built in a cylinder instead

12. ralphh

ralphh New Member

I believe that water is recirculated.

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

The implication of the OP and others seems to slant toward "what a waste". What business is it of ours how other countries spend the money "legally" earned?

14. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's not the point. The resources I'm talking about that a water park uses is not the water, but the energy consumed to pump the water. Water is heavy. Water parks must be lifting hundreds of thousands of gallons of water per hour and to heights of 50 feet or more.

I would bet that energy required to pump the water in a water park rivals, if not exceeds, the energy necessary to refrigerate that ski park.

15. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I tend to agree with Marlin on this... Also, don't forget the evaporation factor.

16. ralphh

ralphh New Member

I just wanted to make that point clear that the water doesn't just drain off and is replaced from the water supply.

And just like the guys in Dubai, or where ever it is, if you got the money, spend it however you want.

17. ralphh

ralphh New Member

Well, you're comparing one "ride" to a whole theme park. I don't know the answer, I'm no expert on energy consumption.

When I was a kid and would see fountains, I would think it was such a waste. My point is it's not as much a waste as I had thought.

Also, recreation is a part of our affluent society. My family loves water parks! :)

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Hmmm, that would be an interesting comparison nonetheless...

Too bad no one is going to get up off the couch to change to that channel.... (and that, proudly, includes me) :lol:

19. Oxo

Oxo New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I suspect that this Dubai project is not so much a result of wealth as a result of the way any wealth is distributed.

It would be interesting to know how the wages of the manual workers who built and maintain these projects compare with the minimum wage paid to manual workers in the USA and Europe

Here in Europe a number of massive and extravagant cathedrals were built in medieval times not just because the church was wealthy but because wages were minimal, just enough to allow the workers to survive in their primitive hovels.

20. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I wan't implying anything of the sort. We buy a lot of oil so oil rich countries have money to spend because of that.