1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This little car can drive itself home

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by jkash, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This little car can drive itself home
    Team of students from Lehigh, Penn modify Prius for international contest.

What could be the latest innovation in military technology is undergoing testing in a parking lot at Lehigh University.

Little Ben, a silver-gray Toyota Prius, represents the future of driverless vehicles -- known in military-speak as autonomous ground vehicles -- which the U.S. military hopes will one day reduce the number of lives lost on supply missions in war zones.

For several months this year, the parking lot near the Rauch Fieldhouse served as the testing grounds for the driverless vehicle developed by engineers from Lehigh, the University of Pennsylvania and the defense contractor Lockheed Martin.

The snub-nosed hybrid circled the macadam on Lehigh University's Goodman campus on an overcast August afternoon, practicing three-point turns and stopping at several checkpoints as its programmers requested.

Someone is sitting at the wheel, but no one is driving Little Ben, except Little Ben. A combination of computer programs, lasers and a global positioning system help the car ''see'' in three dimensions and pick out other vehicles, curbs and obstacles -- such as the overhanging tree branch that makes it stop short.

Read more.

2. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow I didn't realize this was happening in my back yard. I hope Little Ben wins the competition.

3. statultra

statultra uber-Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i was a student at NJIT, where there was a chevy blazer and like 20 guys in darpa grand challenge, and i suggested to them to use a toyota prius, easier to modify than the chevy blazer they were using, but no one really cared, with a combination of EPS and computer controlled throttle and brakes, it would be so much easier to create a autonomous vehicle than a conventional car

4. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My brother-in-law is working on a team that is competing with HiHy's.