1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This may be a ridiculous question, but..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by neon tetra, Apr 23, 2008.

1. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Are there any crazy laws anywhere that would make "de-badging" a car illegal?

I wonder if such a law exists somewhere, because it might make it harder for law enforcement to ID your car.

I doubt it, but I'd like to make sure before I tear em off.
    Mainly b/c driving in the south or midwest w/ Jersey plates is already asking for trouble, silly as that sounds, and I wonder if it would make me more likely to be pulled over.

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've never heard of such a law but this is certainly an intriguing question.

Mike

3. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Never heard of it being illegal either, but check your local vehicle codes. I don't believe there is a problem in Calif. Darell even has a page devoted to debadging his Prius:

http://evnut.com/

Look under Prius Hybrid > Mods > Emblem Removal

BTW, someone has reported that there are holes under the Hybrid badges on the front fenders on the newer Prius. (I think 06 -08)

In the guide for emergency responders, Toyota refers to the badges to help identify the car, but someone would have to be pretty far out of the loop not to recognize a Prius at this point in time. Badges or no Badges.

4. neon tetra

neon tetra Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yup, thanks to this board I know not to remove the side ones.

I'm just gonna do the back 3 (not the main Toyota symbol) b/c it makes it look cleaner & more symmetric imo.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not that I know of but cars are usually identified by the licence plate anyway. Most of the time, it's given a general description (e.g. silver Toyota hatchback)