1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This might just be me, but Power vs Eco mode is more than just pedal feel.

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Bmr4life, Jul 7, 2017.

1. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I've read up and down that the different modes just manipulate the throttle application versus pedal input plus Eco mode reduces AC power consumption. When you go full throttle in any mode you get full throttle.

Well the odd thing I'm seeing is not at full throttle, but at a constant speed while using cruise control.

There's a large uphill climb on the freeway just before I get to my exit. I have set my cruise to 60mph and in Eco mode the power gauge maxes out to keep the car going at 60mph. Today I tried PWR mode at the same 60mph and the car power meter just maxed out the eco range, never went red and the car didn't feel like it was struggling like when in Eco mode. Same conditions otherwise (over 30 miles of freeway leading up to this spot, no AC the whole time, in the right lane).

I think there is something else going on with PWR mode vs Eco mode. Maybe something to do with how electrical energy is supplied.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what are you driving? i think the gauge is mapped to the pedal. so less pedal travel = less gauge travel.

3. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Prius v. I'm using cruise control so there is no pedal travel. I can see a difference in the power gauge as well as feel a difference with how hard the car is straining to maintain 60mph up the incline.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there might be a cc effect, iirc.

5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The system can change the valve and spark timing along with effective gear ratios to add horsepower and responsiveness at the expense of mpg. The atkinson cycle engine is actually a detuned engine that emphasizes mpg. The electric boost is essential to make these cars drivable. Try driving a Prius with a completely depleted HV battery. You would think a piston had a hole in it.

Had a 64 Comet Caliente convertible that I blew said hole in its small block V8 while cruising a no speed limit Transcanada highway back in 1969 while the Detroit riots were flaring in the rear view mirror. Also ran out of gas in my 08 Prius at 60 mph and the HV battery maintained speed for two miles to the next station. That car was limp for a few miles after the fillup with no electric capacity. By the way, the Comet's V8 made it all the way to Montreal and thousands of miles back to Texas where a Sears mechanic replaced the piston. The Prius HV battery showed no ill effects and is still cruising seven years later. Original 12v battery as well.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's mentioned in the CT200h literature but not mentioned in the 3G Prius or 1G Prius v but apparently in Eco mode, the max system voltage is 500V whilst in normal or PWR, it's 650V. It may apply to the Toyota cars but we haven't seen/read anything that confirms/denies it.

Perhaps you've found subjective proof?

SFO likes this.
  7. Bmr4life

Bmr4life Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I did some more testing..

While doing my same uphill climb with the CC set at 60mph I switched modes. When in Eco mode the power meter would max out and while in Power mode the power meter would drop back down to the top of the eco area. I was able to switch back and forth a few times since the climb takes about 10 seconds. I had the radio off this time so I could really hear the powertrain and there was no audible difference. So it appears to be just a display anomaly.

Sevreth likes this.
  8. Kramah313

Kramah313 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I believe for the gen 3 under cruise control PWR makes the car try to accelerate faster. When climbing hills, it's better to add speed at the bottom when it isn't so steep (or better yet on the downhill before it), otherwise you'll get behind and have to accelerate harder climbing the steeper part of the hill. This hurts MPG. For this reason I never use CC on hills in any vehicle. Cars also tend to use a lot of gas to maintain an exact speed rather than losing a couple mph going uphill.

Also, in the gen 3 (liftback, not the V since that's all I have), the far right of the graph is not full throttle. It's usually about 3000 rpm, or 4000 at highway speeds. In addition to that, when switching modes, the car takes a few seconds to change the mapping, so if you were changing really fast it might not have done anything.

9. TinyTim

TinyTim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There is a significant difference in power and performance in power mode vs. eco mode on the Gen4 Prius. With that said the CVT transmission makes up gear ratios. If you are lucky and find one that is geared well, the acceleration is quite peppy in eco mode. The sad part is that happens once in a blue moon.