1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This seems weird

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 4chi, Oct 18, 2006.

1. 4chi

4chi New Member

This morning was my first real need to use the heat. I turned it on, and the little A/C button was not pushed on the MFD, but at the top of the MFD it still read "Air Conditioner." I cycled through a bunch of different climate settings, but this never disappeared. Does it always say this and is this just the first time I noticed it? To me "Air Conditioner" has always meant cooling.

EDIT: Never mind, I found another thread addressing this...didn't see it after my first search.

2. TheForce

TheForce Stop War! Lets Rave! Make Love!

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4chi @ Oct 18 2006, 12:01 PM) [snapback]334482[/snapback]</div>
    Air conditioning means just that. Conditioning the air. Warm or cold.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto. In the USA we often use the term "air conditioner" only to mean cooling, but for most it means any sort of conditioning of the air, whether heating, cooling, filtering, etc.

Tom

4. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(theforce @ Oct 18 2006, 09:05 AM) [snapback]334486[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. But it confuses me too, having to put on the A/C in order to warm the cabin of the car up. :huh: It just doesn't sound quite right, but it works!

5. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :rolleyes: Perception of COLD is partially dependent on the humidity level of the atmosphere. The air conditioning compressor may cycle on/off even in cool weather in order to dehumidify the air in your cabin. Thus the term "air conditioning" is appropriate even when cooling the incoming air is desired.

Ditto others who illustrate the meaning of "air conditioning."

6. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Charles Suitt @ Oct 18 2006, 02:48 PM) [snapback]334626[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but it's not just a perception. Water molecules are bigger than air molecules, and carry away more heat. The more of them, as in the higher the humidity at any given temperature, the colder you feel.

7. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They should have labeled it "Climate Control" instead of A/C IMO

It really means that the automatic climate control is engaged and will heat/cool/dehumidify as it sees fit based on your temperature settings and ambient conditions.

If left alone it will automatically change the vent settings and fan speed too. You can manually override any of those and the "Auto" button will de-hilight, but that just means it's no longer controlling whatever specific feature you over-rode.

8. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Basically it means the compressor is running, right? which lowers mileage?

I just punch the a/c button to get the light to go off, the set the temp to warm the cabin to the desired temp. Seems to work o.k. Hope i'm not screwing something up........ just seems a bit odd to me as well to have the a/c on when heating (or the compressor that is) :blink:

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 18 2006, 02:45 PM) [snapback]334745[/snapback]</div>
    No. In AUTO mode, it isn't always running. It'll come on if necessary. If you're in manual mode, then yes, highlighting the A/C button will keep it running.

10. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 18 2006, 06:49 PM) [snapback]334792[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks Tideland.... that actually eases my minds a bit, I'll probably just start setting the temp and hit "auto" instead of trying to micromanage the heating system. I was just concerned I was wasting gas doing it that way.. glad i'm not :D :D

11. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The problem I have with the A/C is knowing what temperature to set it at so I don't get too much cooling or heating. If I want cooling, I don't want it to be TOO cold, so I set it at, say, 72 degrees. However, if I leave it at that temperature, in the morning when the ambient temperature is lower, the heating will come on to try and warm it up to 72 degrees. I don't want heating unless it's really cold. What's the best strategy for this?

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 18 2006, 04:41 PM) [snapback]334829[/snapback]</div>
    Yep. The only time I use manual is if I wanted MAX COLD, fresh air, A/C off and fan at LO or the first dot after LO. IOW, vent lol.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 18 2006, 04:47 PM) [snapback]334832[/snapback]</div>
    The only way I can think of is adjust the temperature then. It has happened to me recently since it's chilly in the mornings and because the rain hasn't arrived yet (it's a few weeks late), it's been sunny in the afternoon and warm so I get heat in the morning and a/c in the afternoon lol.

Anyway, yeah, you'll have to bump the temp down a bit. Even in manual mode, it will pump out heat.

13. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ Oct 18 2006, 07:41 PM) [snapback]334829[/snapback]</div>
    I normally don't even hit "auto" and it seems to warm up just fine - maybe I should try it - I think though in auto I am limited to where I can send the "conditioned air".

14. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PriusRos @ Oct 18 2006, 06:47 PM) [snapback]334832[/snapback]</div>
    The best solution I found was to get accustomed to using the temp adjust buttons on the steering wheel.

The A/C will run in the defrost setting to help dry the air.

15. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Oct 18 2006, 09:17 PM) [snapback]334877[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(richard schumacher @ Oct 19 2006, 08:22 AM) [snapback]334974[/snapback]</div>

Yeah -- it seems you have to bump it way down though, and then adjust it back up. Also, sometimes I just want air without heating or cooling but have difficulty figuring out the right sequence of button presses to turn off the A/C. It seems I sometimes can't get the A/C button to turn off. I usually get it in the end, but I kind of just stumble into the correct sequence!