1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This tech is hard for me.

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by varmonter, Mar 31, 2021.

1. varmonter

varmonter Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Ok i finally got Lucille to actually
    charge for my departure time of
    9 am . But no dfrosted windows.
    or warm cabin when i got in.
    I have it chkd to do the preheat

.whats up. I know im doin something wrong. Car has 450 miles on it.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you have the HVAC set ON and at desired temp? The climate preconditioning only works at the last setting when you turn off the car. If you had HVAC off, then even setting preheat on the schedule, it won't do a thing. The climate conditioning will not turn on the engine. All heating (and cooling) is done by the traction battery-powered electric heat pump. It can not heat the cabin when the ambient temp is below 14F. In my experience, it works best at ambient temp above 32F, but when the ambient temp is below 25F, the heat pump is ineffective to heat the cabin. Yeah, when you want the heat most, it doesn't work. The defrosting is the same situation. It works well if the ambient temp is above 32F, but lower than that, it is inefficient, and at very low below 14F, it is non-functional. Besides, any heat (or cool air) it creates is quickly dissipated as soon as you open any door because the HVAC stops with the door being open. It also reduces EV range if the traction battery is not replenished to full on time of departure. All and all, I found the pre-conditioning feature to be useless for my climate.

Read this thread to learn more: Remote A/C & Climate Prep Quick Guide | PriusChat

jerrymildred likes this.