1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

This was a close one.... Almost ran out of gas and electrons

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Jimbo69ny, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Waaay too close for comfort.

I have been pushing my last gram of gasoline as far as I could. For the past few days I have had 14,12, and 9 miles left of gas.

Today, I left my apartment, drove to one of my rental properties, recharged for about 30 mins, went to walmart, the bank then headed home, all in EV. I had 9 EV miles left and 9 miles of gas. I thought getting home would be no problem (I even passed 4 gas stations)

Ithaca NY is all hills. Lots of them. Unfortunately I see one of the largest ones on a daily basis. I see it anytime I go downtown and visit my apartments. So I started heading home after my errands and, like many other trips, I was planning on using most of the EV range going up the hill. I usually get to about the top and the car struggles to maintain speed and the computer turns on the ICE even though I have EV range left. Unfortunately on this trip I accidentally engaged the ICE near the bottom of the hill. The ICE hasnt been on in 2 days so it then needed to warm up. Immediately my gas range dropped to 4 then to 3, to 2.

I still had 1.1 miles of EV left and I was almost to the peak of the hill. This is about 1.3 miles from my apartment. At this point there is one last exit before I get to my house. However the gas station is about the same distance as my house is. I decide to chance it and head straight for home....

As soon as I pass the exit my car drops to 0 ICE range. EV remains at 1.1 and then drops to .8 where it hovers for a much needed 10 seconds. Im about a half mile from home now and ICE is off, no gas and .8 ev. EV drops like a rock as I approach the turning lane because Im still going up hill slightly.

EV hits 0. ****! Luckily, the road flattens as soon as the turning lane starts and the light is red. I slowly coast and regen. I get .3 back on my ticker. Im about a quarter mile from home.

Light turns green. From the start I have a douche bag right on my nice person. So close you'd think I was towing him. I cant afford to pull over to let this shit head past so I continue annoying him. I have to make a left and Im coasting. Its a slight down hill. I then get into the middle lane way before it turns into a turning lane. Douche slams the gas and flies by. I am now down to .1 EV, 0 ICE.

I make my left and EV drops to 0 and the display switches to HV. Im out of gas and electrons. At this point I am just very very happy I made it off the highway. The fact that I am in my neighborhood is astonishing to me.

Im coasting along in HV using EV and thinking how happy I am that this car has the safety protocols in place that gives me just a little more juice to get home. When I saw the EV drop to 0 I never even thought about the juice left in the HV partition of the traction batt.

I decide to hit the gas harder to see if it would kick on the ICE or if it was completely out of gas. There was a noticeable hesitation where the energy bar didnt seem to want to pass the middle line on the display but it did and the ICE kicked on. Thanks to the HV EV, I made it into my garage. I am now plugged in getting those precious electrons so I can make it to the gas station, about 7 miles away.....

Fun car :)

[​IMG]

priuskitty likes this.
  2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good show! You should make a thriller movie. "True Horror Stories of The Plug In Prius"

3. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My last tank i went 65 miles on 0 DTE in HV mode. And could only get 8.6 gallons into the tank.

not sure why you were worried, I have read many posts of people going well over 50 miles and a couple over 100 miles in HV mode with no EV.

Dan

4. sfv41901

sfv41901 Masta S

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    That was a good read.......u should write stories

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I bet when you fill with gas, you'll put in 8.5 gallons max... you'll find you had at least a gallon sitting in your tank.

6. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Im guessing he can only get about 8.1 max to top.

Dan

7. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow I had no idea. I must've missed that thread. That makes me want to push it further. I was hoping to pass 1000 miles on this tank of gas. I'm about 950.

8. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, I did 40 highway miles past 0 and still only put in 9.4 gallons. I was pretty scared so dropped my speed and started hypermiling.

Check the 700 mile club thread for gas capacity.

9. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I just left to go get gas and when I got into my car it said I had 10 miles ICE left.... During the drive it dropped to 9, and 8. Even though the gas never came on. On the way home it dropped to 7, 8, and 6. Weird. It was all EV.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should take that 'tude to vegas!:p

11. slcMPG

slcMPG Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On the way home? Did it not reset? Did you leave the car powered up?

12. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope. Parked the car. Turned it off. Plugged it in. And left.

13. Adam Leibovitch

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Parked it level?

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  15. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    a few things:
    DTE includes the EV range. So there's nothing surprising about it saying you had 10 miles left after you charged.
    DTE is pretty useless for estimating amount of gasoline physically present in your tank; the fuel gauge is a much better estimator of that. Further, when the last pip on the gauge starts blinking (=low fuel light in other cars), you have ~2 gallons left in the tank. While on most other cars, that's nothing, in the Prius, that should give you a good 70-80 miles unless you're doing something really crazy.

16. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah each time I charged the DTE went back up to 14 miles...and ticks off with EV range.

I have got 1000 miles to a tank my first two fillups.....the last pip started blinking each time approx 40 miles before i refilled at 1000. And both times car only took 8.6 and 8.7gals.

For me a ratio of 50/50 gets me approx 125mpg and 1000 miles total on a tank of fuel, and I do top off the fuel pretty much.

Dan

17. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting I didn't know that Dye included EV range.

Yes I was parked on flat ground.

My last blip has been blinking for days.

18. rockerdan

rockerdan PiP Rocks!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Jim....let us know how many gallons you put in.

thanks
    Dan

19. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great story telling.

Still struggling with why you passed up the gas station.

20. Jimbo69ny

Jimbo69ny Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I didn't put any in. After I saw that i was back up to 10 miles, I went to the grocery store, bought junk food and drove home.