1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thomas Jefferson's "Wall of Separation"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jul 6, 2006.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No metaphor in American history has had a more profound influence on law and policy than Thomas Jefferson’s “wall of separation between church and state.†What do you guys think he meant by "the wall"?

2. davidf

davidf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 6 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]282073[/snapback]</div>
    That the government shall not endorse one religion over another.

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(davidf @ Jul 6 2006, 12:55 PM) [snapback]282075[/snapback]</div>
    Do you think he was referring to the Federal government alone or the "entire" government from Federal to State to Local governmental levels?

4. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 6 2006, 09:59 AM) [snapback]282079[/snapback]</div>

I think he was thinking in the larger sense; having witnessed and studied the abuses visited upon society by historic religious-state alliances (Inquisitions, Anglicans, etc.). For what it is worth, I am not convinced that our forefathers were as pious as some wish them portrayed; there is some evidence that Jefferson himself may have been what we would now consider to be agnostic. This is all my opinion, of course. B)

Here is a link that attempts to discuss religion in Colonial America; while it does not address Jefferson and his "Wall of Separation", it does delve in to the various belief structures:

http://www.uncp.edu/home/canada/work/allam...83/religion.htm

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 6 2006, 01:13 PM) [snapback]282088[/snapback]</div>
    Nice link.

I am more interested in what I believe was his belief that the Federal government should be "separated" from "religion" and that State and Local governments would be under no such restraints - as compared to what other people might believe his intentions to be.

I think it is interesting in that when he was running for office, I believe, the "religious right" (i.e. Baptists) where scared stiff of him because of your astute observation that he himself was not a "religious man". Kind of the opposite of today? Funny how history repeats itself, although in different facets.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I was complaining about religious influence on national politics to a coworker about a year ago. He enjoys being right all the time and proved to me that there is no direct reference to a "seperation of church and state" simply that the federal government shall never establish a national religion. So his conclusion was that politics influenced by religion was legal and commonly practiced.

"That's fine," I said, "I just don't want your church influencing my state!"

As for federal versus state and local: I think that the tenth amendment was set up to allow states to make their own laws. But since "established religion" is addresses in the Bill of Rights, I tend to believe that they had planned for this - like the others - to be the law of the land. So allowing a state to declare a "State Religion" would be akin to allowing individual states to outlaw free speech and fire arms and to control all press in that state. I've always held to the "slippery slope" belief.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 6 2006, 01:34 PM) [snapback]282103[/snapback]</div>
    Interesting.

I like your view on State government and religion. Would it not be the Founding Father's point to allow State and Local governments to allow religion to enter the every day life of citizens and not "establishing" a religion which would be prevented by the First Amendment. I don't think they wanted a "Wall" constructed between "all that religious" and "all that State". My current belief is that Jefferson wanted the Federal Government out of religion only.

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eventually there will be no wall. Church wants this and Church wants that, and if State doesn't give then have the faithful replace them.

A few more years, and Separation will only apply to a minor Church or two, the ones with fewer votes...

9. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Jul 6 2006, 10:34 AM) [snapback]282103[/snapback]</div>

Good points; reminds me of the case of several years ago concerning meatpacking and the interstate commerce act(s).

The State of Michigan was sued by some meatpackers for restraint of trade and other issues. the facts were that Michigan had a higher standard of quality and proof than was required by Federal FDA standards. Michigan restricted meat sales to those companies that met Michigan's standards, arguing that they had a right to establish safety standards and that so long as the standards exceeded the minimums of the FDA, they (State of Michigan) was within its authority. The companies, of course, claimed that Michigan was in violation of ICC and FDA lawas and rules and sued in Federal court. As I recall, the court handed down a decision upholding the states's rights to establish higher standards and require compliance.

Now, the difference between the ICC/FDA and the US Constitution is that the Constitution is 'the law of the land' and the rules and laws developed by agencies like the FDA and ICC are merely statutory regulation.

But we do develop those regulatory laws based upon the interpretations of the articles of The Constitution and the amendments therein. The founders had no way of knowing how far 'International Law' considerations would creep in to court decisions.

BTW: here is the excerpted text of the letter that was delivered to a group of Baptists, not an 'official government' gathering or function, so it serves more as a measure of Jefferson's mindset than a governing statement.

(Note: The bracketed section in the second paragraph had been blocked off for deletion, though it was not actually deleted in his draft of the letter. It is included here for completeness. Reflecting upon Jefferson's knowledge that his letter was far from a mere personal correspondence, he deleted the block, he says in the margin, to avoid offending members of his party in the eastern states.)

Mr. President

To messers Nehemiah Dodge, Ephraim Robbins, & Stephen S. Nelson a committee of the Danbury Baptist association in the state of Connecticut.

Gentlemen

The affectionate sentiments of esteem & approbation which you are so good as to express towards me, on behalf of the Danbury Baptist association, give me the highest satisfaction. my duties dictate a faithful & zealous pursuit of the interests of my constituents, and in proportion as they are persuaded of my fidelity to those duties, the discharge of them becomes more & more pleasing.

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man & his god, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, and not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, thus building a wall of separation between church and state. [Congress thus inhibited from acts respecting religion, and the Executive authorised only to execute their acts, I have refrained from presenting even occasional performances of devotion presented indeed legally where an Executive is the legal head of a national church, but subject here, as religious exercises only to the voluntary regulations and discipline of each respective sect.] Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.

I reciprocate your kind prayers for the protection and blessing of the common Father and creator of man, and tender you for yourselves and your religious association, assurances of my high respect & esteem.

(signed) Thomas Jefferson
    Jan.1.1802.

10. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I don't think it is possible or good to try to make a "wall" between that which is church and that which is state. The main problem is that a church is its people, and so is our government. A person, in general, will act acording to his of her religious beliefs in daily life, including anything that has to do with the state. It is simply not posible to expect people to completely set aside their beliefs in order to act in a govermental position.

What is nessicary, though, is that no group be able to overide the convictions of another in a governmental sense. An example here might be the animosity between groups of Christians and groups of Islamics. Chistians must not be allowed to enact laws that require Islamics to act according to Christian beliefs, nor vice verca.

For a religious group to be active in government is healthy and expectable with our democratic methods. It isn't really any different then any other like-minded group attempting to accomplish something through the government. A problem only occurs when a group attempts to enforce a concept that other groups find unacceptable. This is NOT LIMITED to religious groups.

My biggest pet peeve lately has been the barring of religious symbols from government workplaces, mainly those used in personal workspaces. The idea that a worker displaying a symbol of his or her faith is somehow the same as the government edorsing a religion is rediculous. It is far better to embrace oneanothers faiths then to hide them from the world. I want to see crosses, stars of David, cresent moons, Buddas, and every other symbol that is special to an individual displayed in their cube whenever they want.

11. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jul 6 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]282119[/snapback]</div>
    Excellent! I think Jefferson meant only to separate the Federal government and not the State of Local governments - I think he actually as a member of Virginia's governing body supported local Church building and as President also aided the colonists that were moving westward in buidling and supporting Church related activities.

In terms of foreign law creeping into our own - the Founding Father's would want no part of that - they expressly avoided citing all other existing foreign laws while contructing the Constitution. And up until recently the SCOTUS has also avoided citing foreign law for what I believe are obvious reasons.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jul 6 2006, 01:46 PM) [snapback]282116[/snapback]</div>
    I tend to disagree with you. I believe there are extraordinary restrictions placed on the Church based on what I think are inappropriate interpretations of Jefferson's metaphor - hence why I made the original post. No Christmas displays, no 10 Comandments on public ground, no nothing religious.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]282128[/snapback]</div>
    Agree 100%

12. wstander

wstander New Member

Of course, after having said all of this, we all realize that the way the Federal guvmint keeps all of the sovereign states 'in line' is through that opiate of government, tax revenues.

Do as the Feds dictate and you will get your cup of taxpayer gruel...

Do as you will in opposition and the suckling teat dries up

( I am certain that Thomas Jefferson would have understood that, and Ben Franklin may have written something similar...

13. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 6 2006, 02:49 PM) [snapback]282135[/snapback]</div>
    I expect the people making those restrictions to be replaced by people who will rubber-stamp whatever their minister wants done.

Another really good hurricane will probably start the ball rolling, when bad weather is played up as God's Big Stick again...

14. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jul 6 2006, 03:18 PM) [snapback]282151[/snapback]</div>
    I disagree with you too. The Federal government has a responsibility that is not shared by the State and Local governments. I do not think the Founding Father's envisioned a religiously sterile America - and that the government would be a party to that. In fact in France at that time there was the beginnings of an "anti" religious tirade and Jefferson wanted to avoid that from being brought here even though as previously pointed out, he was probably agnostic.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hawkjm73 @ Jul 6 2006, 02:27 PM) [snapback]282128[/snapback]</div>
    agree 100%

15. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 6 2006, 09:53 AM) [snapback]282073[/snapback]</div>
    I've studied the colonial and revolutionary periods for the last 20 years, reading quite a few source documents as well as analysis by authors living today and in the past. I'm strictly an amature historian, but I found this issue to be an extremely complex one. And almost no one arguing about it has it right.

The single best book out there on this, in my opinion, is a new one by Jon Meacham. Meacham is the Managing Editor of Newsweek, and like a true journalist, he approaches his topic from a dispassionate and rational perspective. "American Gospel", ISBN 1-4000-6555-0, is a great treatment of religion in American life, and explains how the rhetoric of the founders and later politicians really reflects a cultural or "public religion", and not a specific faith. That's why a man like Jefferson, rumored to be an atheist, used religious language without a hint of hypocrasy.

In my independent study, I found again and again the compromises that formed this nation are the ones that have made us strong (with one exception: the compromise over slavery). The religious compromise was that the colonies had different state religions ... in MA, it was the Congregational Church. Virginia, like a few others, had the English mother country's Anglican Church as its official state church. The citizens of "these United States" identified themselves more as residents of their states than of America; it was as if the 13 colonies were truly "free and independent states."

The argument I used to accept as fact, and the most persuasive one out there for the "Reconstructionists" view, is that the existance of these state churches proves that the founders were not hostile to religion; they just didn't want to continue to pay taxes to support an overbearing federal church that would repress their own churches, which they wanted to be the official government churches of their states.

But the answer is more complex than that. Because these very religious men and a few not so religious ones went home after the Constitutional Convention and dismantled the official state church ties as well. Within about 30 years, none of the individual states had an official state church.

Even in drafting the First Amendment, the founders were careful. As Meacham explains:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("American Gospel" page 100)</div>
    I have a more complete review of the book at my blog, http://frankhagan.com/blog/2006/05/22/chri...n-nation-redux/

State by state, this concept spread. Jefferson's phrase "wall of separation" encapsulated this movement toward disestablishment of state religion in a catchy phrase. He did that a lot (thank God!)

But the anti-faith crowd also has it wrong. The majority of the founders were Christians in orthodox Christian denominations. You can count on one hand the ones that were not. The confusion comes in when they declare so many of them to be "Deists, not Christians", but the two are not mutually exclusive. It was prefectly acceptable for a Christian to be a Deist theologically. Benjamin Franklin, oft quoted as a Deist, was also a life long tithing member of Christ's Church in Philadelphia, where his family sponsored the front pew, and where he was buried with full church honors. Franklin used the Socratic Method of debate, and often his questions have been mistaken for a statement of belief.

I don't believe Thomas Jefferson was a Christian; although some historians believe he may have become a Unitarian or Universalist prior to his death. But no matter, because he approved of the public religion of America, as practiced for nearly 200 years, even by men such as FDR, JFK and GW Bush (who's comments are so close in tenor and tone to FDR's that the worry about us "becoming a theocracy" is ludicrous).

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 6 2006, 03:29 PM) [snapback]282154[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure here. Perhaps I misunderstood the ideas folk like Jerry Falwell have been expressing: "good Christians" need to prevent other people from sinning. Period. No 'free will' allowed, if the will is to sin. You need to drag people into Heaven with you to enter. Seems rather sterile-oriented to me.

Give people enough of a push, they WILL elect people who will rewrite the Constitution to suit. Already, with no discernable non-religious aspect to banning gay marriage of the civil variety, it's being banned and seconded in court. "Thou shalt not..." is the way all things are going, so if you disagree fine, but I'm expecting the First Amendment to lose more ground each year. The old slippery-slope metaphore, as it were...

17. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jul 7 2006, 09:06 AM) [snapback]282492[/snapback]</div>
    How do you rewrite the Constitution willy nilly like you suggest. The issue of gay marriage is totally separate and involves what I believe to be a States rights issue as pointed out by one of the NY State judges in his opinion yesterday - this also I believe coincides with the Founding Father's beliefs of a representative democracy in which the people decide on certain issues instead of the judiciary - why should 3 men in robes over-rule 75% of a states general vote like in Arizona where they voted against gay-marriage only to have the majority have its will overturned?

I have yet to see the First Amendment lose any ground - if anything it is being over-extended as in the NY Times current defense of its publication of the SWIFT program.

So, no slipperly slope here in my humble opinion.

18. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jul 7 2006, 10:00 AM) [snapback]282502[/snapback]</div>
    Amendments.

Amendment XXVIII:

Section 1. No citizen of or visitor to the United States will be allowed to perform any act proscribed by The Bible while inside the borders of the United States or any of its territories. Any previous Right that allowed such acts or prevented the banning of them is hereby revoked.

Section 1a. Capital punishment, declarations of war, and all related war activities are necessary to maintain order and shall not be proscribed.

Section 2. The Congress shall have the power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.

Simple enough. And as I said, instill enough artificial fear of reprisal from God and people WILL sign on...
    I guess it depends on if you are in agreement with totalitarian religious control or not. Since I see no reason why 75% of the people (anywhere) had any right at all to do anything like tell folks they need to be heterosexual to marry, I guess I'm not in agreement.

That's why we disagree...

19. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mikepaul @ Jul 7 2006, 06:06 AM) [snapback]282492[/snapback]</div>
    Gay marriage is not banned by the court. The gay activists are upset that the courts won't declare marriage a civil right for same-sex couples in the same way abortion was declared a right, and nearly all state laws regulating abortion were declared invalid. But states are not granting marriage rights to same sex couples right now (except for MA, where the legislature has passed a law, I believe).

Its hard to say something that has never been legal in the history of western society is being "banned" by religious extremists. Its hyperbole.

The movement to add a constitutional amendment defining marriage is to prevent two things; one, to prevent the court from declaring same-sex marraige a civil right and therefore invalidating individual state laws regulating it (a la abortion), and two, to prevent a single state such as MA legislating a same-sex marraige right and then forcing all other states to recognize it under the Constitution's "full faith and credit" clause.

I think gay marriage will eventually win, but the right way to do that is through the state legislatures. The courts are not the place to change law; instead, the political process should be invoked, with state legislatures passing the laws and other states recognizing them. There is no urgent, over-riding need to have a court order gay marriage rights by judicial fiat. Same sex marriage will become law in the future through the regular process.

20. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When the Constitution was written, I believe it was not anticipated that the Supreme Court would be enabled to declare state and local laws "unconstitutional". That was established by---what?---Marbury vs Madison? So it's unlikely that Jefferson was espressing feeling toward what anyone could or should do except the Feds.

At the same time, I imagine the Fathers expected the Constitution to "set the tone" as the Law of the Land, eeven if it wasn't expected that every state would duplicate the Constitution in their state constitutions. So even if Jefferson PERSONALLY was speaking of his feelings about ALL levels of government, he's more likely in that instance to have been talking solely about the Feds.

Wrong?