1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Those Bolt Holes on Underside of Side-View Mirrors

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by jarrett_gorin, Aug 14, 2007.

1. jarrett_gorin

jarrett_gorin New Member

I am looking for suggestions about the best way to handle those hole-like indentations for the three bolts that are on the underside of each of the side view mirrors.

These appear to come from the factory covered over by a thin disc of what I can only describe as scotch tape material covering them. This material is so flimsy it makes me think that maybe it was just put on to protect the bolts from any potential corrosion during shipping.

When one of the sctoch-tape discs got ripped on my parents' Prius (at a car wash) the driver's side mirror bagan to give off a high-pitched whisteling noise at most road speeds, and it was particularly bad on the freeway. I figured out that it was because the ripped disc was channeling air into the hole, literally turning it into a whistle. I fixed the problem by covering it with scotch tape.

My questions are these:

1) Are those tape discs supposed to remain permanently on the car?

2) If you completely remove the tape discs (as opposed to only ripping off half of one like the car wash did) will it result in whisteling noise?

3) If the answer to question #2 is "yes", has anyone found a sturdier and more reliable way to cover these holes up?

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. 4n6

4n6 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I would think that if you removed the tape from all three holes it would result in the sound of a chord. You might even be able to tune it by adjusting the mirror. Then you could remove them from the other side and have a hormony.

Seriously I think you could find some sort of a plug or grommet at the hardware store.

3. jarrett_gorin

jarrett_gorin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(4n6 @ Aug 15 2007, 08:27 AM) [snapback]496126[/snapback]</div>

Oooooh a chord!! That would be nice!

I thought about rubber or plastic grommets. The problem is that the three holes are not all "round". Some of them are "racetrack" shaped. So I realized that the odds of me finding some sort of rubber or plastic grommet at a hardware store that would actually fit these holes were only slightly lower than the odds of me winning the California Lottery this week. I guess it's possible.

What I was hoping to see is if anyone has already gone through this excercise and identified what type of grommets work, and could let me know where they found them.

OR it would be equally useful to find out if anyone has completely removed the scotch-tape-like discs and could report back what there experience was vis a vis increased noise or not.

I eagerly await any information like this.

4. pencil pusher

pencil pusher New Member

You might consider using a small piece of that clear packing tape that 3M makes. Might do the trip. Also I've seen clear "duck" tape. Best o' luck. :)

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

ours came off to at a car wash and I was going to melt some hot glue and try to get that in there.
    It will keep screws from corrosion also and will be able to come out if needed.

I just have to do it, now LOL

6. geodosch

geodosch Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priussoris @ Aug 15 2007, 04:15 PM) [snapback]496356[/snapback]</div>
    Make sure you remove the antenna before you flip the car over to run the glue in! LOL

7. FL Buckeye

FL Buckeye Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had to remove those three screws on each mirror when I did the LED turn signal mod. There were no covers over any of the screws and never were. I hear no wind noise.