1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Those small LED looking lights in the middle of the headlamp??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by macmaster05, Sep 29, 2009.

1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just bought a new 2009 Prius!! Although it's used (purchased Feb 09), to me it's only 6 hours old! Here is the first mod I'd like to make:

You know that middle row of what looks like LEDs on the headlights, how the heck do you make those light up??? I think it would look cool with my OEM foglights and HID headlamps (I got the Touring). What kit do I need to get? Who installs it? How much?

And most importantly, will that void the warranty for the headlamp fixture/electrical? Thanks.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    most likely the warranty would be voided. opening that casing and drilling the spots out... then replacing and wiring-in LED's is the only way... first you have to bake the casing to open it. there is a mod that 1 person has done themselves. if you search you may be able to find it. there's a lot of LED forums out there...

congrats on the purchase :)

3. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Cobrakid, I was looking at the blinglights.com website and thought they would have it, but I didn't see it. I did notice this picture, however, advertising for the fog lamps.

http://s.ecrater.com/stores/83546/4a0e44a0bd164_83546n.jpg

This is exactly what I want and what I'm talking about...

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Those are not LED's in the headlight, just a row of of jeweled transparent bumps that may look like LED's. Don't take the blinglights photo as gospel, they know what photoshop is for.

Wayne

5. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So is this mode even possible?? You think it'd be an easy, or at least common, mod.

6. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's possible, but not common. I don't recall anyone going to the trouble of doing it, although it has been discussed on more than one thread.

Tom

8. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Some japanese guys have done it. It looks amazing. It's in an older thread in this section. The car has paint from an Infiniti FX.

9. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It is possible. And you do not need to bake the headlight. I never did, I have a gas oven and I get scared that I will mess my headlights up.

If you have a heat gun or a hair dryer that you do not use anymore, all you have to do is slowly heat up each section of the headlight and use a nice flat thin screwdriver or what have you and slowly pry.

When apart, just drill, add led's w/ a nice epoxy, do your wiring and what not. When putting the headlight back together, you can purchase extra adhesive from a Nissan dealer, I honestly forgot what it was called, but it started with a B. B___ gum?

But heat up the adhesive until it is nice and warm, and press the 2 pieces back together. Presto... If you opt out of buying extra adhesive, you can always add clear silicone around the edges of the headlight to prevent fogging.

I will be doing this mod next year. This year all my money went to my racer.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey thanks qmtran and everyone else. But I'm going to be honest - I'm scared stiff about baking. I don't even bake cookies.

Is this a mod that you can pay someplace else to do, including the baking part? How much would it likely be?

11. qmtran

qmtran Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    If you are afraid of baking, use a heat gun like I mentioned. If you are scared, go on a forum like honda-tech or vwvortex and ask someone to help you. The aftermarket tuner crowd does this all the time. It is alot easier then what you think. Just gotta take that first step and everything will be fine if you are slow and steady. Normally I only work on one headlight per day. Less stress.

12. selisimo

selisimo New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heating with hair dryer worked perfect for my mazda 3 headlamp :)
    Quite easy job but needs some patience with heating.
    Anyway maybe next week i am planing take apart my prius headlamps ant put some LED into middle of the headlamp :)
    I am planing to use some flexible LED strips for that ( i dont want drill holes)
    When i finish my first prius project i will put some photos.

1 person likes this.
  13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would love to see it selisimo!

14. reagd

reagd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I first thought that those brightlights are LEDs. Photochop huh Lolz

15. sunstarfire

sunstarfire New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, read the posts. The mod is real, a Japanese guy has done it. It's just a heck of a lot of work. Not (!!!) photoshopped.

Look here.

16. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    macmaster05:
    You know that middle row of what looks like LEDs on the headlights, how the heck do you make those light up???

They don't.

I think it would look cool with my OEM foglights and HID headlamps

I agree.

What kit do I need to get? Who installs it? How much?

Try this guy

And most importantly, will that void the warranty for the headlamp fixture/electrical?

Probably.

17. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    macmaster05:
    So is this mode even possible??

Yes.

You think it'd be an easy, or at least common, mod.

I would imagine people don't want to take their perfectly good HID headlight housing and stick it in the oven 'cause some guy on the internetz said he did it and it worked out fine. (meaning no disrespect to the my fellow posters in this thread)

A reasonable compromise might be to buy an extra set of housings, bake them, then swap after you're 100% sure the mod worked.

18. jonvo

jonvo New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Baking in the oven is the easiest way to do it. The heat is distributed evenly making disassembling a breeze. Make sure you shut off the heat when placing the headlight in the oven. Additionally, the Prius's headlights are surprisingly on the large side. Make sure your oven is adequate to house such a monstrosity (till this day, Prius reign in this department .... even the 18 wheeler's headlight does not compare!). If it's a tight fit, make sure none of the headlight is touching the oven.

Prying the lens off is a fast pace ordeal. Before sticking it into the oven, remove the screws ( I think around 2-3) that are holding the headlight lens to the headlight housing.

Just my two cent.

Jon