1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts needed after curbing

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AH83, Jul 3, 2024 at 9:39 AM.

1. AH83

AH83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Hey All,

I am in need of some thoughts and advice.

Two days ago I was making a left out of a parking lot and curbed the car pretty hard on an island (right front passenger side wheel), idiotic I know. I managed to scrap the front bumper and catch part of the middle of the car as well.

I had to replace the tire but was told the wheel was fine other than the scrap. The tire is holding air no problem and it was balanced out I was told, although I don't see any wheel weights but do see where the old weights were prior to the tire swap.

The issue and concern I am having is now I am getting a sound above 25 mph and above, more prominent at highway speeds. The sound is similar to what you'd hear when driving over highway grooves but it's consistent and is what I believe louder when steering is slight angled, exiting or going on overpasses.

The car alignment appears to be fine. The car without any steering input or assist, drives in a straight line and brakes in a straight line with no issues.

I put the car on jack stands and looked for play in the wheel hub but there was none. I put my hand on the coil spring and rotated the tire while in N and there was no vibrations whatsoever, perhaps it needs to be loaded.

Aside from the sound I am also getting some vibrations but not in the steering column or wheel but rather in the area where the dead pedal is floor is. The issue is that the hit was on the passengers side and not drivers side.

Just wondering if the hit was hard enough to cause some sort of mechanical damage to engine/drive train? The car drives fine other than the sound and that minor vibration I get.

Thoughts or ideas on what I should do next?

IMG_2792.jpg IMG_2794.jpg IMG_2795.jpg

2. PhoS

PhoS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Ouch.

Looks like a solid hit however I doubt you damaged the suspension or drivetrain. You could have some plastic loose plastic flopping around that is causing the vibration?