1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on 12v backup system.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Britprius, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It crossed my mind today that a laptop switch mode power supply could easily be used to provide a 12v 3.5amp to charge in an emergency the Prius 12v battery from the HV battery.
    The switch mode power supply will take an input voltage from about 90v to in excess of 300v (rms value of 250v a/c supply) the fact that the HV battery is DC does not matter as the power supply has a bridge rectifier on it's input that usually charges a couple of 400v capacitors. The output from the power supplies are well isolated, and short and overload protected. Replacement power supplies are available with multiple output voltages so choosing 13/14/or 15v would be no problem. They are small and could be left connected to the 12v battery, all that is required is some safe way to connect to the HV battery perhaps 2pin plug and socket. The polarity at the HV connection does not matter.
    Thus when a light is left on and the 12v is dead simply plugging in the power supply would have you up and running in minuets.

1 person likes this.
  2. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    As a matter of principal, I dislike disturbing the traction battery unless absolutely necessary. In this case, I don't believe it is necessary. It can be inconvenient to have it locked away in its fortress of solitude, but it is reasuringly safe in there.

You could achieve the same result by keeping a small 12 volt battery stored in the trunk, wired so it charged when the car was on, and (normally) did nothing when the car was off. I have started a gen. I with a little handheld 12 volt battery I pulled out of an emergency light.

3. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Interesting ideas.

Does anyone know (approximately) the minimum number of amps required to boot the Gen2?

4. kohnen

kohnen Grumpy, Cranky Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    This is what you're proposing:

Have a 12 V power supply attached to the traction battery so you can generate 12 volts to start the Prius so that the traction battery can (through the inverter) supply the 12 volts.

All you'd really need is some sort of override that attaches the traction battery to the inverter.

It might be even simpler than you propose. I wonder what could be done with those pneumatic switches they sell for spa motors.

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So you're saying that a laptop power brick can be used to recover from a dead 12V battery?

I wonder what the best way is to plug into the HV battery?

6. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It had crossed my mind that manually pulling in the main DC relays might do the trick, but this would probably through fault codes and may even damage the inverter with no ecu control.
    One idea I came up with to connect the power supply was to use a 12V 25AMP 4 pole relay with external manual override button such as those made by Omron, 2 contacts could be used for HV switching and one used for holding in the relay from the 12v power supply after the manual button was pressed. this however would require a normally closed push button in series with the coil to shut down the supply when the Prius 12V system was restored, or alternatively a relay on the Prius ready line could be used for auto switch off of the power supply.

7. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I seem to remember that there is already a possible HV supply point at the rear of the Prius for charging the HV battery with the Toyota charger or am I mistaken.

8. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Interesting idea!

I made a (14.4V minus diode-drop, so) 13.8V Lithium battery. Able to supply >1A from disposable and obsolete cells from work. I wanted to parallel 4 or 6 of those packs, but they threw them out when I was with sickness leave :eek: so this is all I could make (four 3.6V cells in series)

The wife left the lights on last week. I told her to hook this battery up through a lightersocket, and she said it did make a difference (thus me concluding the lightersocket had been switched ON). But she couldn't start the car.

So my 1A battery was insufficient. But the dome and doorlights alone would probably draw that much already (hence me wanting to quadruple this battery...).

So how much current would I need?

She ended up starting the battery with instructions from me and help from two other carowners, startercables I threw in the car were too big to clamp in the connector-bay under the hood. I have since made a dedicated startercable with two small 25A rated batteryclamps, 5 meters of speakercable (13AWG) and a cig-lighter plug. The previous owner made an always-ON cig-lighter socket behind the left dash-vent. So I could always click that off and plug it in there to make sure it directly hooks up to the battery.

9. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I have an emergency starter pack with compressor lights etc, but find it bulky and heavy to carry, also needs charging on a regular basis to keep it's own battery in good condition something we all forget from time to time. then when we come to use it find it's flat.
    I am looking for an easy cheap permanent solution to a problem that so many on this board have come across, and one that eliminates the possibility of wrong expensive polarity connection using a supply that is already available. I am sure that if Toyota made such a system as an extra people would bye it, after all the early Prius came fitted with a charger to charge the HV battery from a 12V source.

10. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    The gen II Prius, and probably the gen III as well, needs a 1/2 second 50 Amp pulse to get the system started and into "ready". It may take two of them if the brake pressure is low. Your supply needs to hold about 10V during this pulse. Most small gel cell batteries such as found in small UPS' and emergency lights will do. I just purchased one new, 12V 12 A-Hr, for $20. It's handy to have it around as it's not very heavy and is very portable.

As mentioned above, you -could- run a diode from the accessory line with a series resistor (10 to 20 ohms, 5 Watt) to this type of battery in the car somewhere. Then install a momentary push button switch (a larger one would be best), from the battery positive to the 12V line (boost point or directly to the 12 V battery), to use in case the Prius battery fails.

11. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you connect it to a switched cigarette lighter, it would charge when the car was on, do nothing when the car was off, and would always be ready for you. Just run a line.

I have wondered about putting a big pair of protective diodes on the battery and on the front jump point, but never actually did the research.

Er, what?? Where was that?

12. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Rather than focusing on charging the 12V battery in an emergency, the objective is to jump start the car and either leave it running for a long while, drive to a place that has a 12V smart charger, or drive to a place to have a new battery installed.

When the 12V battery is dead, you often have two competing issues: the 12V battery is hungry, and the car is demanding. It can be 50 amps at >10.5V that are required to start it. For example, a portable jump pack may not provide sufficient voltage to boot the car unless the bad 12V battery is disconnected. Nevertheless, a 12V jump pack is extremely handy and should be in everyone's trunk.
    You don't need to get one with a compressor, lights, bells, and whistles.

I am a little skeptical that the car would start when jumped from the HV battery without detecting a ground fault. Seems to me like there is a ground loop here that is not being accounted for. In spite of a claim of isolation in the laptop brick, you still have a circuit that connects the HV battery to the 12V battery in two different ways (laptop charger, inverter+dc converter). So you'd have to disconnect the 12V from the car and charge it.

13. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The laptop supply has no electrical path between high and low voltage systems they are totally isolated, feed back regulation is done with photo diodes/transistor with a typical 5000v isolation. As is the Prius and as stated in my previous post the idea is to charge the Prius 12V to a point where it is able to ready the vehicle on it's own, not to ready the car from the power supply.

14. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Please see file below.

Attached Files:

kenmce likes this.
  15. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whoa... 1999 PiP :cheer2:

I considered unhooking the 12V battery, but couldn't ask my wife to do that over the phone... And my mini pack wouldn't come close to the needed 50A anyway...

16. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Decided to try the idea out on an old 45AMP/HR battery That refused to start a Nissan Almera 15months ago, battery has bean stood in temps down to -23F and left uncharged since removal from the car. Connected old Dell laptop supply to Prius HV battery (after removing safety link) was the hardest job. The output on the Dell supply was 19v at 3.5amps so I connected constant current limiter based on an LM317T set at 3.25amps. Initial voltage on the battery (without charging 6.1v) this would not ready the Prius. I connected the output to battery and left for 5 minuets, disconnected power supply and tried to start the car, no go. Reconnected and left for another 10 minuets, removed power supply and tried again to start the car and it burst into life this from a battery that is scrap. Turned car off and checked battery voltage with DMM 11.2v. It is my belief that a good battery that has been discharged bye leaving on dome lights or left standing at the airport would recover more quickly.
    I am now looking at making this a fixture in my Prius.

17. kenmce

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    /Looks at file, eyes boggle/

Dang, we need to bring that feature back for all these upcoming fourth gen Pri.

18. srivenkat

srivenkat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    John et al,

Various concerns including the one mentioned in the above with regard to a hungry 12V adding to the startup demand have caused me to install a low-voltage disconnect switch I wrote about this morning.

I would appreciate any input, particularly, a way to keep the presets (I remember reading somewhere 6V is sufficient to keep them, is this true?) while the 12V remains disconnected.

Thanks.