1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on Carmax extended warranty? needed? Will Toyota cover those problems?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ehh, Aug 24, 2013.

1. ehh

ehh New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The extended warranty covers engine, transmission, cooling system, front suspension, electrical sysetms, assemlies and controls, electronics, braking systems, RW drive....but not regular maintenance, which is what I expect I'd need help with more regularly.
    Occurs to me....wouldn't Toyota cover any major issues mentioned above under regular warranty? I've seen other posts recommending not to buy the extended warranty, and it's made me think more about why extra coverage would be needed...ie for something like an electrical system failure.
    Thoughts? I haven't bought the car yet (Prius 2010 Three)...Need to decide by tomorrow, at which time the hold on the car expires.

2. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is the warranty on the 2010. Although I do not see the traction battery and converter warranty in this doc which a 10 years 100,000 miles. 150,000 miles in California since it is a CARB state

image.jpg

3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius is a Reliable car but make no mistake some fair better than others. The warranty company is in the business of making money. They word the contract is a way to include and eliminate. In some cases you may have a warranty and still pay for repairs. If they warrant 100 cars but pay out on 2 they are profitable

If your personal situation is such that you can afford repairs if they become inevitable than don't get the warranty if you cannot than get it.

In a general sense if you take care of your car, go above and beyond on scheduled maintenance and drive the car in an acceptable manner you should have no big repair bills. But stuff happens

Personally I don't buy extended warranties. What I would pay for an extended warranty I put in a conservative investment account. When I sell my car I always still have the money. So I self insure for major repairs. That is the key you arĂȘ the Warranty company

terry brecheen likes this.