1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thoughts on the MPG Variance and Data Gathering

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by DaveinOlyWA, Jul 23, 2009.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Having had my 2010 for long enough to realize that the days of the MFD closely resembling real world data is gone and still wondering why.

my thoughts; after preliminary examination of my mileage data, it seems that when i drove at a much higher speed which means less EV operation, less charging of the pack, etc. the MFD mileage variance was less.

now this observation is difficult because i dont drive at freeway speeds regularly enough to really track this well. so what i am doing now is adding a new column to my excel (actually use open office "calc"...which is just as good AND FREE) which is the "average speed" reading to see if this correlates.

on my tanks so far. only the "dealer" tank had higher readings on the MFD so that pretty much means the old days of the MFD being higher half the times and the pump being higher slightly less than half the times are gone...

my tanks so far;

miles.....MFD.....Pump
    268.......57.8.....60.91 (dealer tank...ignore this)

614........62.......59.41 (includes one day 450 mile trip probably averaging close to 45-50 mph overall)

448.6......63.6.....53.81 (the imfamous "doorsill tank". this is tank that was reset in middle so its computed average before and after. this was pretty much no freeway driving that i remember or very little. i have a calendar that i use to plan family outings and there was nothing during this time)

622.9.....68.1.....62.4 (another tank that nothing really comes to mind as far as anything. on calendar, there was one trip to seattle RT about 110 miles... nothing else comes to mind.)

569.8......60.7...57.32 (this is the "Leavenworth" tank... granted you really have to have been following my posts to understand the names of these tanks but the trip was 350 miles and crosses two mountain passes which are over 4000 feet. probably the most impressive performance i have even seen in my 5+ years driving Pri's...average on this trip was 52 mph and was actually recorded on post i made here referencing regen)

so on the tanks above, the two tanks that were only a few mpg off had very long trips at highway speed in them. granted, all this is very prelim...

need more data, but with 3 cars in a two driver household, it will literally take months (average fill times is around 17 days)

anyone else notice something like this?

**EDIT**
    07/30/20009 tank 516.3 miles 61.5 MFD, 53.44 pump...23 mph diff 8 MPG

notes ; most of tank was done during severest heat wave in Pacific Northwest history. more than a few times, i had the car sitting with AC blasting (i am almost in Pri with son) when i would have normally probably have parked in the shade with the windows open. AC KILLS the mileage when driving at street speeds. only a minor effect while on freeway.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It may make sense to do a weekly fill-up or even a Friday and Sunday fill-up. This allows you track the work week mileage versus the weekend. Many smaller samples might show the pattern in a more timely fashion.

When I first got my NHW11, I was doing twice-a-week fill-ups to get an idea of what different routes and driving patterns were accomplishing. Yes there was variability in the fill-ups due to the bladder but my full-tank testing suggests those bad old days are gone.

Bob Wilson

3. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    When you fill up your tank do you fill it up to the top of the neck.

I think in this way you will be more consistent than the first click removing the pump, even though over time the first click trick will work.

I noticed when I filled up in Washington state a while back, you can not pump your own gas in Oregon, the tank took nearly 2.4 gallons after the pump clicked off to fill it to the top of the neck.

That sure increases you range.

alfon

4. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i use Zenn for work commutes. Pri is really only used on my days off (have 3 a week!!) or when the family goes out. we used to use the SPM for that, but now the 2010 gets that role even on short trips... it just doesnt seem right to let a brand new car sit for 2/3rds of every week.

alfon; overfilling is not recommended. since i can easily do 600 miles on a tank, i dont feel the need to top off. the dealer tank was filled more than i fill so that is why the MFD reading was higher on the first tank, but i stop pretty much within a buck of the first click. besides, the issue is not tank fill consistency, if it were, i would occasionally get the MFD reading higher and that has never been the case and appears will never happen again unless the tank is not filled properly

now, on my last tank, my pump was malfunctioning, so it stopped at 3 gallons, which would have been 180 mpg... so i kept going since i knew the MFD reading said i should have more than 9 gallons. well it shut off 3-4 times before that point, so i kept going. ended up with around 9.7 or so.

5. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After 1500 miles my computer average is a little less than 2 mpg more than manual calculations.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    what is your driving patterns? how far do you drive at one time and how fast do you drive?

if i am right, its mostly freeway and probably better than 30 miles one way

7. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I live in the country (near the interstate) so the majority of our trips arre 4 miles of rural hilly 2 lane, then 15 miles of hilly 4 lane interstate and then 3 miles of small town / city driving. Then return home. I drive slightly under the limit most of the time and get 49 to 50 on this trip. My wife gets about 46 on this trip daily although yesterday she got 43.5. She drives it like she's mad at it (or maybe it's just me)

Do have one trip to Pittsburgh (80 mph_ 200+ miles) in the total

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok so trip still mostly freeway speed give or take. next time you fill up, note the average speed for your trip. granted this is not always a good indicator of the type of driving you do especially if in a situation where you spend a significant amount of time with car on but moving very little

9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems there is a wider discrepency the higher the MFD MPG is. Dave looking at your tanks the highest margin seems to be on the tanks with the highest average. In the 50's the typical 2-3 MPG is seen. On my fills so far which have MFD tank averages in the mid-60's, excpet one highway tank, the MFD is off by 6 MPG. My current tank is over 70 MPG, it will be interesting to see the tank-MFD difference.

Wayne

10. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well Wayne that could be as well, dont really have enough data, but the MFD mileage on tanks 2 and 3 only differ by 1.6 mpg but the pump reading differ by almost 6 mpg.

start tracking your average MPH for each tank. now granted, it could be off, mine is probably a bit low because a lot of times i be picking up my kid at grandma's and i frequently dont turn the car off. usually in and out in less than 5 minutes most of the time, so that would lower it. i should probably stop doing that at least for a while until i can get some more data gathered.

11. DrJon

DrJon New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Could be that a pump (supposedly accurate by state standards) was off also?

12. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    Costco is where i got the gas and although the state mandates pumps be calibrated every 3 years, Costco calibrates theirs every 6 months. they acknowledge that the mechanics of the pumping system do wear out and becomes inaccurate, so they take on the expense to go the extra mile to make sure the pumps are accurate.

the last time i went there which was last week for the SPM, i checked the their inspection stickers were dated 06/2009...

13. billklug

billklug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got "Bullet" out of the shop with a new paint job. Weather changed and 104F required AC to be run. AC appears to tank my MPG from historical 53 to about 46!! Perhaps I should just sweat and go for the better MPG?!? Will perform and experiment relative to AC on vs. AC off and see what the delta is; will report back.

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    OP edited with latest tank. think i probably short-filled the previous tank which accounts for part of large discrepancy on this one. last tank shut off 3 gallons to early, so filled it to estimated level of fullness. lost first bar at around 80 miles i think which is far less than normal.

15. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can not pump my own gas here in Oregon, and there is a new law where once the pump clicks off you can not top off by law.

However, if I lived in a state where you could pump you own gas; I would fill to the top of the neck where you can not get any more gas in. Than I would drive say 500 miles or so. Fill up, at the same station pump, to the top of the neck. Look at what the MPG display states, than calculate miles driven and gallons used.

In my opinion this would give you a very accurate reading, and after a few tank using the same method there would be no discrepancy.

I know that there may be problems with the charcoal canister by filling up to the neck, but who here has any problems by doing that?

alfon

16. anne1965

anne1965 Gotta love the game...

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Do you make short trips or long? On short trips the A/C hit is large because it goes flat out to cool the interior, and then throttles back when the set temperature is reached? If that moment coincides with the arrival at your destination...

At what temperature do you set your A/C? I usually set it at 23 C (73F I believe), I have read from others setting it as high as 78 F. This does make a considerable difference in the Prius.