1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three issues all at once: brake pedal, gas pedal, Hybrid System Indicator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by sourwookie, Aug 22, 2020.

1. sourwookie

sourwookie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    2015, 107,000 miles. Private purchase a few weeks ago.

As of today three things seemed to happen all at once:

1: Brake pedal feels loose or mushy. I can depress the pedal to the floor after a stop. When I do the traction light comes on. When I release the pedal (from the floored position) it holds for a couple seconds before it beeps and the brakes release.

2: Gas pedal feels a little "looser". Hard to describe

3: The bar in the LED Hybrid System Indicator on the dash seems to be moving quite quicker. It jumps from ECO into Power, when I coast the bar slides back down to ECO and Charge rather quickly. I feel this may be related to #2.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    #1 sounds like the Hill Start Assist (You activate it by fully depressing the brake pedal - the traction control light will blink)

3. sourwookie

sourwookie Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    OK. This is embarrassing and I'm tempted to delete it but I'll keep it up as a cautionary tale.

So I was motorcycling earlier today and returned early and got into my car without changing. I normally wear what they call "Zero Drop" or "barefoot" shoes which are very thin, but this time I was wearing my clunky biker boots -- which totally screwed with the "touch". I figured it out after I got back into the car wearing my regular shoes and everything felt normal again. As someone who normally has to wear thin shoes on drum gigs to feel the pedals you'd have thought I would have caught this earlier.And yes, you are correct about #1.

Let the razzing begin.

GG707 likes this.
  4. cnc97

cnc97 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

As I was getting used to driving my 2010, I would routinely press the brake to the point the Hill Start Assist would activate. Now I only activate it when it’s actually needed. The system is designed to hold the brake for two seconds or so, to allow you to get your foot on the accelerator.

As far as the “loose” gas pedal, if you get used to how the car drives in ECO mode, then turn it off, the pedal will feel looser to you, even more so if you put it in Power mode.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's all good. It can help other members when they search for help.

6. E46Prius

E46Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My CT200h has this hill start assist too. It's helpful but I wish it would hold the brake indefinitely until you step on the gas. I bet you could modify this in software somwehre.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much will you wager?