1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

THREE MORE FACTS YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT YOUR PRIUS.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Arizona Charlie, May 25, 2005.

1. Arizona Charlie

Arizona Charlie New Member

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ACCIDENTLY HIT ‘THE POWER’ BUTTON WHILE DRIVING?

If, you accidentally press ‘POWER’ button while the vehicle is moving the “ACC†mode and shift position “N†are automatically enabled.

This info is also available on page 131 of the owners manual:

“If, in an emergency, you must turn the hybrid system off while the vehicle is moving, press the “POWER†switch more than 3 seconds. At this time, the “ACC†mode and shift position “N†are automatically enabled.â€
    ••••••••••••••••

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU ACCIDENTLY HIT ‘P’ THE PARK BUTTON WHILE DRIVING?

Absolutely Nothing. The engineers at Toyota figured that someone was bound to do it and they set the Pri up so that it will not go into park while you are driving the car. Do not try this if you are driving a PNDLR auto unless you need a new transmission and are planning to donate the car to Goodwill Industries.
    ••••••••••••••••

BEST WAY TO REMOVE FINGER-MARKS FROM THE DISPLAY SCREEN.

The optical department at Costco sells an eyeglass cleaning cloth. It cleans the screen without having to spray a liquid cleaner on the screen. Same cloth is available from many other sources, opticians ophthalmologists, etc.

THANKS TO THE PEOPLE WHO SUPPLIED US WITH THIS INFO.

ARIZONA CHARLIE:

2. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Thanks, Charlie. Good info. Let me add something to that as a WARNING.

You can turn off the car while "driving."

I was waiting at a red light, just began to accelerate when I decided to turn off the radio. Instead of hitting the "PWR" button for the radio, I hit the "POWER" button, turning off the car and causing people behind me to stop abruptly. (OK. Commence laughing. I'm an idiot. :oops: ) Don't know if I was moving or not at the time.

Just wanted to point out for safety reasons that it is possible to turn off the car when you are out in the roadway.

3. jtmhog

jtmhog Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Will someone explain what happens when the car is placed in Park. How is the unique drive train locked-up?

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Park is about the only mechanical 'shifting' that's done. A servo motor engages a parking pawl just like on a conventional transmission, except instead of linkages doing it when you move a shifter, a motor does it.

Doesn't hitting park while in motion put it in neutral?

5. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My finger “accidently†hit the parking button while the car was moving - probably under 3 MPH.

I can tell you for a fact the car came to a very abrupt stop . . . as though the parking pawl had engaged.

There may be a lower speed limit at which the car will go into park, and above the limit the car will go into neutral, or whatever.

All I know is that I will not be “accidently†hitting the parking button again just to test this theory for that precise cut-off speed. Under 3 MPH was disconcerting. Under 7 MPH or so would be unnerving. :eek:

6. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There is an upper speed limit for the park mechanism to engage to prevent tranny damage.

Most autos either use band brakes (which can slip over time) or prawls. Both Prius generations have used the prawl. The older was mechanically connected to the shift lever, whereas the newer is fully electronic.

Now if your battery is dead, disengaging it could be fun :)

7. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

some info you have is wrong....

(this is all from experience btw)

Pressing the power button while above 2mph does absolutley nothing. It DOES NOT put the car in nuetral, it doesnt do anything.

Pressing the park button above 2mph DOES put the car in neutral, and that it is.

Pressing and holding the power button for 5 seconds will engage the "emergency shut off" feature that disables everything (including power steering) but the radio

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kev1000000\";p=\"92683)</div>
    I believe you'll still have decent brake, as I believe it is active even when the car is powered off. The hydraulic pump is anyway.

9. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ yea, it still brakes fine, but the electronic assist turns off

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

I would move the Power button to the same position left of the steering wheel.

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Kinda weird that they would cut the power steering but leave the radio on lol. The radio would the be the last thing during an emergency power off.

12. Kev1000000

Kev1000000 New Member

^^ it puts the car in ACC mode actually, in case of an extreme emergency

13. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

One reason I can think of why they may have shut off power steering is in case that was what goes haywire, requiring you to do an emergency power off.

14. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    brakes have a backup power supply. still works even when the car has no power.

safety reasons I guess. but don't mess yours up, they aren't cheap to replace!