1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three Politically Incorrect Editorials

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TimBikes, Apr 16, 2007.

1. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Three editorials I came across that say the politically incorrect. This should stimulate some discussion... :eek:

The "Rich" Pay 70% of all taxes...
    The truth is that the vast majority of federal income taxes are paid by high-income earners. According to the most recent IRS data available, the top 10 percent of households – with incomes roughly $100,000 or greater – pay roughly 70 percent of all federal income taxes. That share is up from just below 50 percent in 1980.

Don Imus Isn't The Real Problem...
    We have allowed our youths to buy into a culture (hip hop) that has been perverted, corrupted and overtaken by prison culture. The music, attitude and behavior expressed in this culture is anti-black, anti-education, demeaning, self-destructive, pro-drug dealing and violent. Rather than confront this heinous enemy from within, we sit back and wait for someone like Imus to have a slip of the tongue and make the mistake of repeating the things we say about ourselves.

Global Warming's Dirty Little Secret
    Last week, the European Union declared that it had practically saved the planet. With European Commission president Jose Manuel Barroso claiming that Europe will lead the way on climate change, the EU has promised to cut CO2 emissions by 20% below 1990-levels by 2020. Of course, with the EU already having promised an 8% cut by next year in the Kyoto Protocol, this new target seems slightly less ambitious. Moreover, in continuing the fundamental problems besetting the crippled Kyoto Protocol, the EU has essentially gone and made a worse deal.

2. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    For the Rich - I think it's ridiculous to set the breakdown at 100,000. While i don't have any hard data to back this up, it seems that there's a fairly constant number of people earning every amount between 100,000 and say 20,000. In other words, there aren't any big gaps where practically no one is earning money. Above 100,000, however, things get fairly sparse. Then you get into the chunk with the CEO's and such that are making 250,000+ It's really that chunk who are the "rich" in America. This BS about two people with middle class jobs actually being "rich" is just that - BS.

Imus - I agree that there are bigger problems than Imus. However, i also think that if we want a societal reform, it has to start somewhere, and Imus made himself a prime target. It's very difficult to attack a rapper or black comedian for making racist remarks, as they all do, and it's pretty much become par for the course. The white rich shock jock, on the other hand, could easily be attacked. From here, i can only hope that this spreads to other areas, and after there's a number of people getting "into trouble" for these types of remarks that it starts to disappear from those venues (like rap and comedy) where it's been so entrenched.

Global Warming - I actually think i agree with the article... the Kyoto thing sounds good on the surface, but i think everyone recognizes the implementation costs and problems. A proper strategy of moving away from fossil fuels and our carbon dependency through the introduction and adoption of new technology *should* have been the goal all along. Hybrids, followed by plug in hybrids, followed by EV's and hydrogen vehicles makes a pretty nice roadmap for this reduction... there's just a lot of R&D that needs to be done before we can get to each stage.

3. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Apr 16 2007, 11:33 AM) [snapback]424114[/snapback]</div>
    Re the rich - that really wasn't the point of the article as I read it. The point was really that people making less than $100k are paying only a very small portion of taxes - and - when 40% of the population is completely outside of the tax system, that is a problem.

On Imus and Global Warming, I agree with your comments.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 16 2007, 12:14 PM) [snapback]424052[/snapback]</div>
    The Rich and Taxes: This may be so, but it's still, proportionately, a smaller percentage of their overall income. This is what's most important

Youth and Culture: Yes, we have allowed this to happen, one family at a time. And the continuing debate whether Imus was right or wrong only demonstrates how clueless we are as a people...and allows our youth to see that adults in general and their parents specifically are on moral ground at least as tenuous as their own. How can this even be a question? And why does it relate to anything else? Right is right and wrong is wrong, no matter what anyone else does. Introducing relativism into it is a BAD idea.

Global Warming: Even if you still smoke, cutting back is always a good idea. Need I say more?

5. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 16 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]424136[/snapback]</div>

So everyone should pay the same percent of thier income for taxes?

6. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Apr 16 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]424196[/snapback]</div>
    No, the truly rich should remember their obligations to the society which, in all likelihood, allowed them to accrue such wealth in the first place.

It used to be called noblesse obliege, I believe.

7. scargi01

scargi01 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 16 2007, 03:42 PM) [snapback]424223[/snapback]</div>

what does "remember their obligations" mean?

8. MarkMN

MarkMN New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Crap, I just accidently deleted my long post about the taxes, I don't have time to rewrite it all, but summarizing, I don't care that the top 10% of wage earners pay 70% of the federal income tax when they make 50% of the income. The reason that they are paying more now than twenty years ago is because they are making a larger percentage of the total income than twenty years ago. I believe in a progressive tax system. Capitalism is great but without progressive taxes and other regulations, it becomes a system of exploitation. I believe in tax reform but only in reform that makes the current system MORE progressive.

Richer are getting richer source:
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1...ing.html?page=2

9. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Apr 16 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]424224[/snapback]</div>
    To not be super-wealthy and bitch about paying taxes, for a starter.

Is that simple enough?

My Dad used to say that it was his honor to pay taxes (he was a first generation American Greek) and that I should ALWAYS BE THANKFUL FOR WHAT I HAVE AND NOT FOCUS SO MUCH ON WHAT I DON'T ('specially if you're one of the truly wealthy. Which, honestly we weren't...and I'm certainly not now!).

That's what it means to me.

Am I somehow mistaken?

10. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Given that the top 10% of the US own 70% of the wealth, I'd be rather disappointed if they were paying anything less than 70%.

It seems a bit weak for the top 10% to amass 70% of the money, then bleat about paying 70% of the taxes. (And the top 1% has 33% of the money...)

Well, the bottom 50% of the population own 2.8% of the wealth. I don't think you should be really relying on them to fund things.

Maybe if you reduced inequality, so they weren't so poor, they'd be able to contribute more taxes...? Just a thought.

(Stats from http://www.faireconomy.org/research/wealth_charts.html - and that was from 2001. And I know which direction equality has gone since then...)

11. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As I've said before, I simply won't stand for attempts to oppress the ruling class!

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 16 2007, 01:14 PM) [snapback]424052[/snapback]</div>
    seems to be an arbitrary cutoff, top 10% or approximately $100k+ per year. what about those who make $1m or more? i'm sure they're paying heavier on the taxes than the $100k earners, and by lumping the $100k earners in with the much less common situations of millions earners, that information doesn't tell the whole story.

then again, statistics rarely do.

and i'm entirely amused that 100k is in the top ten percent of annual incomes, while what percentage of new homes reach the millions of dollars pricetag? it's OT but says something about how people live way outside their means...

and that's what happens when you put away minor drug offenders who have delusions of badass-ness [including, cough, rap stars] to learn from the real psychopaths, then let them back out into society with their new hardcore skillz to share with all their homies, yo.

:rolleyes:

'course that's just a minor aspect of why our society is circling the drain.

the third article i really don't have an opinion about.

13. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Apr 16 2007, 05:45 PM) [snapback]424360[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't "analyzed" the linked editorial, but the usual analysis of tax payers usually divides the nation's wage earners into 5 groups. You have to remember that the median HOUSEHOLD income was just over $46,000 in 2005, so anyone who has a combined income, along with their spouse/SO, of $100,000 is doing great; they are more than twice the median. The poverty line for a family of two is just over $12,000 (and for 4, its just over $19,000).

The estimate is that only 18% of households have incomes over $100,000. That top 20% of households starts at $88,000 ... so if you and the others in your household, combined, earn more than that, you are RICH. You are in the top 20%! We should tax you more! If you don't think so, you might want to reconsider the "tax the rich!" sentiment until you find out for sure. Most rich people don't realize they are rich.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_inc...e_United_States for a pretty good article on household income.

The folks in the top two categories do indeed pay most of the INCOME taxes. And it looks like the people in bottom three quintiles get off without paying anything. But what most of these stories neglect to say is that nearly every wage earner is taxed at an effective rate of 15% in "Payroll taxes" (7.5% for the wage earner in a deduction, and then the employer has to meet that amount, which is money they could be paying to the wage earner). And, these "social security taxes" are put into the general fund, so in fact, the poor do pay a type of income tax to fund the federal government. And they should not be paying it. We should simply tax the rich more, those earning more than $53,000 in combined income, who make up the top 40% of wage earners.

Its not our fault they don't know they are rich! ;)

14. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Apr 16 2007, 01:55 PM) [snapback]424136[/snapback]</div>

:lol: HA!

Small percentage my butt. Let's just say, that I for one, know people, who pay more then fifty two cents per every dollar they make.

And I know for a fact, that certain people paid over $40,000 in taxes alone last year. And believe me, that is real money.

Anyway you count it, that is real money.

15. TimBikes

TimBikes New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KMO @ Apr 16 2007, 02:42 PM) [snapback]424256[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not suggesting we rely on them to "fund" things - only that they pay enough in taxes so they can feel a bit of the pain and have a stake in standing up against bloated government.

It's simple economics - people will always opt for more of something for which they pay nothing. Charge them something, however nominal, and they will begin to consider the relative importance of that item in a whole different light.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Apr 16 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]424488[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed. For the self employed you'll pay 15% in payroll (employee and employer), a top federal rate of around 35% and 9% (in CA). That's nearly 60%. Then throw in property tax, sales tax (nearly 8% in CA), licensing fees, etc. It's ridiculous.

16. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 17 2007, 02:30 AM) [snapback]424493[/snapback]</div>
    Even ten percent of your income when your entire family only pulls in $20,000 a year is painful. It really is relative...

17. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(05_SilverPri @ Apr 16 2007, 03:49 PM) [snapback]424224[/snapback]</div>
    ""Noblesse oblige" is generally used to imply that with wealth, power, and prestige come social responsibilities."

Noblesse Oblige

Noblesse Oblige is also the motto of the National Honor Society.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TimBikes @ Apr 17 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]424493[/snapback]</div>
    What they poor pay is already painful. The rich don't have to decide between food and healthcare. And few of them buy their winter coats at the local thrift store. The pain of the poor is having no phone in order to pay for something else. The pain of the rich is having to wait another few months to install that hot tub or buy that jet ski.

18. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Apr 16 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]424488[/snapback]</div>
    I haven't paid less than $100k/yr in state and fed income taxes since as long as I can remember, and this year it's well over $200k.

Rich starts somewhere north of $300k/yr income. Trust me, families with that level of household income do not think they are rich. They have the same fears about their jobs, etc as people making $100k/yr. I believe the top 2% of households pay about 50% of all income tax.

19. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well I'm not going to say anything about taxes other than we pay way to much. We also get virtually zero deductions, and whatever we do get is trivial.

What I really wanted to post is about Imus. What a load of crap. People are acting like what he said is outrageous and they can't believe it was said. Has anyone actually heard his radio show? He's been doing this same thing for 30 years now. This is Don Imus. Was what he said offensive? Yes it was very offensive and he was an idiot for saying it, but for people like the president of CBS claiming he had no idea it was going on is just ridiculous. Give me a break. As far as being fired, I really don't care. I never really listened to him anyway...

On a different note, I just read that Halle Berry is going to be starring in a movie next year called "Nappily Ever After".

What do you make of that...?

20. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The truly sad thing is that the Democrat party has a built in mantra for life!
    That mantra being; "X" tax cut benefits the rich!"
    Well no kidding the rich are the only ones PAYING taxes! (all right not totally but 10% paying 70% means a significantly smaller percentage of the taxes are being paid by the "not rich")

Remeber the rich keep epole empployed because they buy products and invest in companies that need employees.
    Yeah, and on a dollar cost average, what the "rich" pay may not be as difficult from them to pay as what the "poor" have to pay, but I have two comments on that:
    1) too bad;
    2) if you tax the rich to the "painfull" level, trust me, the Government will suffer along with the "poor" more so than yo could imagine because the "rich" will either Stop making money or just do it somewhere else.