1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three weeks old and a few firsts!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Springtime, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Springtime

Springtime Member

OK, after three weeks of driving I needed to find a gas station and add fuel. Had a little trouble getting the gas cap off but I finally figured it out. I filled up without any problems - although the nozzle seemed to create a vacuum seal and I had to wait a few seconds before I could get the nozzle out of the fuel tank. Is that normal?

I had been averaging about 41 MPG during the first three weeks of driving. After I filled up the tank and drove around doing usual errands I was way up to 53 - 55MPG. That was quite a jump. S0 maybe as someone else mentioned, different gas is making a difference?

I also bought a good tire pressure gauge this week and checked my tire pressure (after it had been sitting overnight). LF = 38, RF = 36, LR = 35 and RR = 36. OK I know I need to change the pressure - to what?

I can take the pressure cold, but, I need to drive 3 miles to add air. That raises the pressure level in the tire. SO, how do I do this? Lets assume the RF should be 38 pounds and the cold readiing is 36 pounds. I get to the gas station and I take another reading and it is 38 pounds. DO I add 2 pounds so that the tire is 40 pounds because it is not a cold reading? (OK guys you know all about tire pressures - the only time I ever worried about tire pressure was when my tire went flat - so this is all new to me!)

I did manage to program the garage door opener and load a bunch of CD's without incident. Next I am going to try to program the NAV for "home".

Springtime

2. Wynder

Wynder New Member

I believe there's actually like a rubber gasket around the opening, so it may indeed be creating a small vacuum as you pump gas -- be carefully pulling it out as a lot of people have had issues with gas spills if you don't let the bladder settle a little bit after filling all the way up.

Could be... could be weather as well -- could be you're learning to drive the car a bit better as well. :)

Folks reccomend 40 in the front and 38 in the back... as long as the front is 2psi higher than the rear, you're good. But the more air in there (within specifications), the less roll resistance. You are sacrificing a bit of traction, but probably not too noticable.

Good question. :)

3. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm in the Pocono's and I run 42front, 40 in rears. The jump in mpg's is probably because you are learning more about your Prius and the last week has been alot warmer here. Where in Pa. r u?

4. craigcush

craigcush Member

As cold as it is now I doubt the tire will warm up in that short distance unless you are speeding. Feel the tire, cold. At least it is cold here in Arizona!

1 or 2 #'s I wouldn't worry. Do a search here if you have all day to read a ton of posts on pressure and refueling.

I run 40f/38r. Got down to 34 once and highway milage suffered.

5. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Just do the math. If LF is 38 and you want to run at 38/36, leave it alone, even if it read 39 if you re-checked it at the gas station. If, OTOH, you want to run at 40/38, inflate it 2 lb., even if the reading has gone up to 39. That'll make it 41, but it should cool back down to 40 later.

As was said, the tires probably won't warm up that much in 3 mi.

If going to the gas station to do this is a pain, especially in winter, consider buying a cheap, small air compressor so you can add air at home. There are several for sale now that plug into your car's accessory receptacle---$20-30.