1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Three Year Anniversary Report

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by TonyPSchaefer, Aug 30, 2007.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    On August 24, 2004, I drove Priapus off the lot of Libertyville Toyota. Three years and 36,000 miles later, I have a report to file.

The facts:
    Total miles: 36,025
    Total gallons of gas: 691.80
    Lifetime Average MPG: 52.1
    12-month rolling average: 57.7
    Average time between fill-ups: 15 days
    Average amount of gasoline pumped: 9.35
    Highest Tank MPG: 66.7
    Lowest Tank MPG: 40.3

Comparison:
    Previous Car: 1997 Buick Regal
    Average MPG: 22.51*
    Gas required to travel 36,000 miles: 1,599.29
    Gallons of gas saved: 907.49
    *I tracked the Buick MPG for seven months while waiting for delivery of Priapus.

I've always found it difficult to calculate cost savings because of the great fluctuation of gas prices and the uncertainty of when I would have refilled the Regal. But I also don't care because money was not what I was thinking about saving when I got Priapus.

Click the >>Current Mileage<< link in my signature for all details and a chart.

I started breaking out the 12-month average because I felt the lifetime average was starting to flatten out and not represent the improvements I was getting year over year.

The only Mod I have is the EV button.
    I stuff my grill when temperatures are consistently below 60ºF.
    My tires are overinflated at 55f/53b. I went from 35/33 to 40/38 in July of 2006; check the results on the chart.

That's all I can think of. I will address questions as posed.

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Must be the commute...
    My Dear Hubby drives our '97 Buick Regal, which usually gets about 26-28, and will get 33 on the highway (she loves speed, the Grand Lady does).

you are running 55 psi in tires rated for 44 psi max?

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dang 3 years already?? That means mine is coming up soon too... Well, I got about a month or two.

4. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Aug 30 2007, 09:22 PM) [snapback]504667[/snapback]</div>
    Rated at 44? I can't remember anymore. Whatever the Prius tire is rated at, yes, I'm running 55f/53b.

And for those just about to click the [Reply] button, I will not allow this to turn into a "you're out of your mind and that is dangerous and you ought to be taken out and shot" thread. One of those already exists: use the search function.

5. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 30 2007, 11:37 PM) [snapback]504705[/snapback]</div>
    We'll just say that you fat fingered the four. (it should be 44/43 or 44/42).

6. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(oly_57mpg @ Aug 31 2007, 01:30 AM) [snapback]504757[/snapback]</div>
    Sure, I'll go with that ;)
    So then I suppose I went from 44/42 to 50/48 in 2006. This was at the prodding of Wayne Gerdes and was a compromise from the 60/58 he wanted. At Hybridfest '07, I pumped them up to the current 55/53.

7. jim0266

jim0266 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What are you using to block your grill?

8. oly_57mpg

oly_57mpg New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 31 2007, 02:43 AM) [snapback]504761[/snapback]</div>
    WOW! I missed the threads about that. Specifically this one. Doh! I'm not man enough to pump that much... I've seen rims/wheels break in half under high pressure and really mess up the dude who was filling them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jim0266 @ Aug 31 2007, 02:46 AM) [snapback]504762[/snapback]</div>
    There are dozens of posts about it... Here

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is just 1" pipe insulation from the local hardware store. It comes with a slit down one side to allow you to wrap it around a pipe. If you look at the piece on the hood, you can see that I've cut it in half creating a half piece. Then look on the right side of my grill and you'll se that I've simply folded that half piece and shoved it into the grill.

Wayne Mitchell - FireEngineer - showed me this method. Others use different materials but achieve the same affect.

[attachmentid=11039]

Sorry for the darkness of the picture, but a Tideland with black pipe insulation doesn't seem to photograph well in a dark garage.

Attached Files:

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thankyou.
    How does the car ride with those pressures?

11. AOV

AOV New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have mine at 40/38 and I find it very bumpy in spots, yet I am staying with that pressure, can't imagine what kind of ride is with 55's

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Three and a half years here. Nothing to report. I'm far too disorganized to keep track of all the gas I've bought. I tried at first, but kept forgetting, about every other tank, and so gave up the effort. Anyway, nearly two years of driving in Fargo (bitterly cold winters, very short drives, ten-minute commute) killed any hopes of entering the high-mileage club. Total problems: a couple of recalls to reprogram the computer in the early days, and a broken c/c stalk, fixed under warranty. And a flat tire.

And you'll never convince me you're not crazy, Tony: all these years accepting the thankless job of mod on PC. :) You deserve a medal.

13. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Pat and AOV,
    The tires on an automobile have always factored into the car's suspension system and the smoothness of the ride. With that said, knowingly inflating the tires higher than the sidewall markings will stiffen the ride noticeably. To me, this is no different than replacing the stock shocks with stiffer shocks and then pointing out that the ride seems rougher. I notice the stiffer ride, make no mistake, but since I brought it on myself, you won't hear me complaining.

Daniel,
    Like all things, it has its highs and lows. I am not sure I would have remained as enthusiastic about hybrid technology had I not been a Mod here. Then again, perhaps it is the enthusiasm that keeps me a Mod. (Chicken : Egg) Besides, I know as a fact that had it not been for PriusChat I would never have met all the great and open and friendly and down-right odd people that I have had the pleasure to interact with - electronically and personally - over the last three and a half years.