1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttle body Prius 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tf4624, Jun 4, 2011.

1. tf4624

tf4624 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The two large hoses connected to the front and rear of the throttle body are both PCV hoses. There is no idle air pathway hose or valve. The throttle motor cracks open the throttle to provide sufficient air flow at idle.

3. GeorgeGarman

GeorgeGarman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm new to the forums, so I'm not sure where to post.
    I took my 04 w/112k to the dealer to diagnose the check engine light with code P0505. They recommended many items (like brakes and plugs), but nothing related to the code. They reset the code. About a week later the light came back on and I took it back. They said they needed to replace the throttle body for $1081+tax. I figured I'd clean it since it had never been done. I dumped a bottle of Fuel Injector cleaner in (first time in who knows how long) and drove it the week till I could work on the TB. The check engine light went out on its own with only the fuel cleaner, but I still decided to do the TB and MAF cleaning.
    I followed Hobbit's directions for cleaning. All seemed to go well, but now I have a rough idle. The ICE starts fine, but then idles fast and normal, cycling about every second. The idle is bad w/ or w/o the air cleaner in place. I double checked the connections on the hoses and the electrical connections and the gasket under the TP.
    The ICE does not shut off and the check engine light is back on (I do not know what code). Any suggestions on what to check?
    Thanks,
    George
    Update:
    I took it for another drive and it performs well, but still was idling high. It stayed high, then the ICE shut down like normal. Next start of the car the check engine light disappeared and it drove normally for about a mile, then it started idling funny again with the idle cycling high to normal when I was parking it.

I took these images before cleaning.

Attached Files:

4. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The MAF you have still looks somewhat residue covered on the resistance wire that you pictured, there are also two small wires on the underside that should be at least inspected, they are fragile, I carefully sprayed the ones on my car, others can opinion if this is incorrect.

This thread shows a cleaner MAF . See Jayman's photo.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...roubleshooting/57617-cleaning-maf-sensor.html

5. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If you used a lot of carb cleaner that might be the answer. I suggest going out for a 20 minute drive and see if that clears things up.

If that picture is after cleaning, it deserves another cycle ;)
    I put the sensor in a plastic baggy ziploc with isoprop alcohol and swished the alcohol around while holding the sensor. When clean the temperature probe is a shiny amber, and the airflow wires are aluminum color with a smallish central tan area.

6. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I put some fuel cleaner in my gas tank about 6 month ago and had no trouble. I did notice the can was pretty small but still said for 20 or 25 gallons! Since the Prius tank is just short of 12 gallons, I put just 1/2 of a can in for a full tank. also you did spray that MAF connector with electronic cleaner and insure a good connection??? I agree with the one suggestion that maybe you have to just open the car up and blow the junk out. Take it up to 65MPH and run it for ten miles, that may be the cure!

7. GeorgeGarman

GeorgeGarman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks all. I updated my post with the pictures to make it clear that the pictures were before cleaning.
    I sprayed throttle cleaner around the hoses to check for leaks and found none, so I took the car for a good long run - that seems to have cleared it up!