1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Throttling while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kleemann3443, Jun 15, 2018.

1. Kleemann3443

Kleemann3443 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    2006 Prius, roughly 190,000 miles.

I just recently acquired the car, the previous owner never had any issues with it. The oil was changed before I purchased it and I was only 1,100 miles over the oil change when things started to go bad. I checked it one afternoon and it was bone dry. I put 2 quarts of oil in it and a problem code came up saying it was overheating. The waterpump and broken causing it to overheat. I replaced the pump only to find another code saying the Throttle Position Sensor was bad. I couldn't replace that myself so I bought the part and had a mechanic replace it. I just picked it back up tonight and now whenever I drive, the engine is throttling on its own. Without my foot on the gas, even while it is in park it continues to throttle up. I'm wondering if this was all caused by the waterpump going out or if its just a string of badluck. Any information would be apperciated, as I am not a mechanic myself.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

start by reading the trouble codes with a prius aware scanner.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What do you mean it throttles up? The engine just starts racing like someone has stepped on the gas?

What part did you buy to fix the throttle sensor? The sensor is integrated into the throttle body and requires throttle body raplacement.

And you have an oil eating little monster of an engine. We see a lot of those here. Poorly maintained engine.
    Sounds like it’s eating a quart or more every 500 miles. Don’t spend lot of money fixing this and that as it may need a new motor.

jerrymildred and Mendel Leisk like this.