1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule bike (roof) carrier on Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by liquidicecube, Jun 19, 2015.

1. liquidicecube

liquidicecube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm researching Thule bike carriers for my Gen 3 hatchback with Thule aerobars. As I see it, there are 3 main options:
    - Thule 526/527 fork mount (front rack mount fixed)
    - Thule 528 "Sprint" fork mount (both rack mounts adjustable plus telescoping tray)
    - Thule 594xt sidearm (both rack mounts adjustable)

The 526/527 are apparently 55" long so I'm concerned about hatch clearance with the bikes on. Does anyone have either of these and can confirm whether there is enough clearance to open the hatch fully or not? I'd assume there are no issues with 528/594xt because of the adjustable front mount. The 528 is more expensive and seems harder to find used.

Oh, and I know this is discussed a lot on the forums, but any arguments for fork vs upright mount? As I see it, fork-mount is potentially more secure, lower clearance and probably a bit more fuel-efficient. Upright is more convenient since the front wheel stays on. For me, it's not so much the convenience but not having to find space inside the car for 2 front wheels when packed with gear on a long trip. The roof-mounted front-wheel carriers are yet more money and I'm not sure where they would fit with 2 bikes on the roof.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

2. Vman455

Vman455 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You should be able to easily fit two bikes+separated front wheels on the roof rack--just follow this guy's example:

[​IMG]

YukYukLee likes this.
  3. prius4-me

prius4-me Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Or install a Curtis trailer hitch and put the bike rack in the receiver!

Tande likes this.
  4. hlunde

hlunde Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've used Thule roof-top bike carriers for years and have found them very secure. An issue with the fork-mount is that at some point you might accidentally drop the fork onto your roof and dent it. With the wheel on, bumping the roof with your bike's tire is non-damaging.

5. Tande

Tande Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    II
    (y).....That's the way we do it around here! ......

6. David Wells

David Wells Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    FWIW, I've got 54" Aerobars and a 526 fork-mount tray. Sometimes, my sons and I add their two Yakima trays (one fork-mount, one upright) and we can fit 3 bikes up top. The one trick is mounting the center bike backwards so the handle bars fit better.
    [​IMG]

Haven't seen any issues w/ the hatch clearance. It's close ~3", but works fine. The biggest down side is 43MPG and noticeable wind noise. But that's still twice the best mileage of our Odyssey van loaded up, so it's all good! ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. liquidicecube

liquidicecube Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks David, this is very useful. I assume you mounted the crossbars per the specs in the thule fitkit? Any reason you don't use the adapter to attach the carrier to the t-tracks? No stability problems despite wind noise? Any damage to your roof from the roof rack over time?

8. David Wells

David Wells Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're welcome. Yes, crossbars mounted per spec for Gen III w/o sunroof. Honestly, didn't know T-mounts were an option. Happy w/ what I have now, but will look into them to learn more. No stability issues--definitely felt the wind drag w/ 3 bikes. And being passed by trucks and buses did not go unnoticed, but never felt uncomfortable or uncontrolled. Had this setup for a year and no apparent damage so far. Took them off for a few weeks in winter and saw no rust or scuffing. Best rack I've used since my Saris roof rack from 1994!

pidginbil likes this.