1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule Cartop Rack

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Hobiecat, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Hobiecat

Hobiecat New Member

Anybody know how much the mileage changes when you attach a Thule cartop carrier?

2. HappyPig

HappyPig Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Mine dropped significantly, from upper-forties to the low thirties, and I even saw upper twenties at one point. My numbers may be an outlier since normally I stow my road bike inside the car and only put the rack system (rack/fairing/bike/bikebra) on the roof when I go on long trips with luggage. So that means the numbers I see are only high speed highway driving with lots of extra drag. Personally, if you have a bike that stays clean (i.e. non MTB), I'd put it inside. After all, it's not a Civic Hybrid with a non-folding rear seat!

3. Hobiecat

Hobiecat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyPig @ Jun 19 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]273411[/snapback]</div>
    Right, that's sort-of what I thought.
    We're doing a cross-country trip, camping, etc. I'm assembling all the stuff and I'll try to do a "Pack" to see if everything fits...

4. Hobiecat

Hobiecat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobiecat @ Jun 19 2006, 09:27 PM) [snapback]273783[/snapback]</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(HappyPig @ Jun 19 2006, 11:34 AM) [snapback]273411[/snapback]</div>
    OK, I re-packed the car and with the seats down, I even can fit the dog crate in! I won't need a top rack!