1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thule T2, Yakima HookUp, Saris Cycle-On with Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by onree, Feb 4, 2007.

1. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    So I have a new 2007 Prius (!) and am busy now outfitting it with all the extras. For example -- a bike rack. On my old Mazda, I strapped the bikes (we have 2) onto the trunk. With the Prius, I think I would prefer the hitch-mounted ones that hold the bikes from the wheels, not the kind where you hang off the top bar.

There seem to be three popular versions of this: the Thule T2, the Yakima HookUp, and the Saris Cycle-On. They seem to all cost roughly the same (about $325 online). Has anyone had good or bad experiences with any of these and the Prius? I'm concerned about all the usual things -- ease of connecting/disconnecting, ease of use, security of bikes, visibility/safety, and access to trunk.

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Congrats on the new car.

I'm wondering about this as well. Seems I spend more on ways to carry my bikes, than on the bikes themselves! Would like a nice hitch mount that doesn't touch the frame of the bikes though - now that I have a full carbon road bike in the stable.

3. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Doesn't seem like there's a lot of other interest in this topic! There's another user on these boards who has posted a few times about the 1upusa Ultra-Rack (google for it) -- it looks like a perfect solution, since it's the lightest I've seen, and it allows for both 1 1/4" hitch (Prius) and 2" hitch (future vehicle). Unfortunately, it's both expensive AND out of stock.

4. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. shark29er

shark29er New Member

We just got a Prius and am also thinking aloud about the rack choices as we have a slew of mountain bikes and racks for various vehicles. You may want to go to the forums at places like Mountain Bike Review.

http://forums.mtbr.com/

Do a search there and see what comes up, I'll guarantee, there will be a lot of info.

Have you already installed your hitch mount? I have a 2" hitch rack and wonder if there are any 2" hitches out there for such a small car. I have been told by a number of people that 2" hitches are far superior than 1.25" for bike racks because of the movement and rattling around that happens with the bike rack.

I have an old Hollywood which is slightily similar to the Saris Cycle-On and I have been lusting for one of those ever since I saw one.

Good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Feb 8 2007, 12:07 AM) [snapback]386833[/snapback]</div>

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Shark29eer @ Feb 8 2007, 05:05 PM) [snapback]387192[/snapback]</div>
    Yup, many of us have hitch mounts. U-Haul makes one (by Curt) and Coastal makes one. Coastal is the only one I know of that make the 2" however.

This I don't agree with. I specifically wanted a 1.25" hitch for clearance and compatibility with everything else I have. If bolted up properly, there is no movement or rattling with a smaller hitch. Without bolting it up properly, you'll get plenty of movement and rattling with a 2". I've used nothing but 1.25" for my last four vehicles.

7. slvr_phoenix

slvr_phoenix Tinker Gnome

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have a bike anymore, but I am interested in trailer hitches. Any information on the towing capacity of a Prius and more to the point, how it handles while towing, would be greatly appreciated. :)

8. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Towing capacity is zero, nada, zilch, naught. Check your owner's manual and warrantee document.

Total carrying capacity is about 800#, so with a load of people there is usually no capacity left for a towed trailer. Also, the HSD/VSC/TC/ABS is not set up to deal with the heavier weight. Lastly, it may void your powertrain warrantee.

ALso, check out this thread:
    Link

Nonetheless, some have done it, with lightweight trailers towing canoes, ATV, etc.

Proceed at your own risk!

9. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please note that you risk voiding the warranty just as quickly by driving over the posted speed limit - which of course ALSO puts extra stress on all components.

10. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

"Please note that you risk voiding the warranty just as quickly by driving over the posted speed limit - which of course ALSO puts extra stress on all components."
    Can you cite this clause in the warrantee documents?
    I don't think driving 35 in a 30 zone voids my warrantee...

11. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil @ Feb 13 2007, 08:31 PM) [snapback]389997[/snapback]</div>
    It is written in the owner's manual, just like the zero towing capacity. Watch those school zones!

Unless you break something, nothing you ever do can void any part of any warranty. I was likely being too subtle.

12. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  13. papamarc

papamarc New Member

I just bought a Prius last week and I'm waiting for delivery of the tow hitch I ordered. My intention is to use the Allen rack which I've been using on my Accord wagon, and I'd be surprised if there's any problem with rear hatch access, although I'll post something quickly if there is. I don't remember all of the details of comparison between Allen (www.Allenracks.com) and the others, but I do recall that one of the factors was that the Allen will hold four bikes. I've been pleased with it and you might want to check it out.

We've also got a tandem and I carried this on the Honda by creating an extended track to carry it on a Yakima roof rack. I expect that same plan will work on the Prius.

Finally, if I had a carbon frame, I think I'd feel more comfortable carrying it on one of the new generation of trailer hitch options which carries the bikes on a platform rather than by the frame of the bike. There are just some times when nothing beats a pneumatic cushion.

Marc

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Feb 4 2007, 07:25 PM) [snapback]385298[/snapback]</div>

14. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(papamarc @ Feb 18 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]392417[/snapback]</div>
    Looks like a nice product. I have a similar one from Yakima, currently, and there is no hatch clearance issue. As you've mentioned, we're looking here for the units that hold the bikes by the wheels only. While I've used my "top tube" rack many times for many miles, there are two many things that I don't like about it. One bike has cable routing that just gets in the way of the straps that hold it on. My other bike is relatively delicate carbon fiber that I don't want to wear from vibration, or be crushed by strapping too tight. I am definitely ready for one of the new racks, and just this weekend ordered up the Yakima unit. The only negative I've heard about it:

1. Easy to feed the rear wheel strap into the wrong groove
    2. From wheel arm for bike A comes close (but doesn't hit) bike B.

Other than that, it all sounds good, so what the heck. I do wish it had integrated locks, but there you go.

15. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I did write the 1upusa folks to find out if their rack would ever come back into stock -- they said April.

16. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 18 2007, 02:26 PM) [snapback]392447[/snapback]</div>

Hey darelldd, so what do you think of the Yakima HookUp? I was very hopeful about the 1upusa, but it looks like they just gave up on the thing and will no longer be making it. So I'm back to the original three -- the Thule, Yakima, and Saris.

17. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onree @ Mar 2 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]399165[/snapback]</div>
    Was backordered, but I expect to get it in a week or so now.

18. steved

steved Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ Feb 8 2007, 12:25 AM) [snapback]386845[/snapback]</div>
    We have the Coastal 2" hitch rack on our Prius and have used it with several hitch racks including the T2. One issue I've observed is that the heavier racks like the T2 seem to flex the trailer hitch as you drive along and hit bumps, etc. The flexing has typically been observed with 2 mtn bikes that each weigh around 25 lbs, but still flexes even with 2 road bikes that weigh <20 lbs. It could be the design of the Coastal hitch since it has quite a cantilevered section between the frame and the actual hitch opening so other hitches might have less flex in them.

It's a tradeoff as the heavier racks provide more of a stable platform for the bikes to be mounted to, but at least with the Coastal, the heavier rack weight means the entire setup of rack and bikes is flexing more as you drive down the road and I'm worried about frame damage to the car.

My preference is for the cheaper Performance bike racks as they weigh less, cost much less, and support the bikes just as well. I just got a new flatbed rack which the bike tires sit on and I'm anxious to try it out. Here is a link to the new rack I have purchased but haven't used yet: http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profil...ategory_ID=4411

Bottom line, look at the bike rack weight and take that into consideration.

19. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steved @ Mar 2 2007, 11:48 AM) [snapback]399180[/snapback]</div>
    It is absolutely the design of the Coastal hitch.

I agree that these are lighter and cost less - and they even support the bike as well. But I want to get away from holding them by the frame. I will not use one of these on my 16 pound carbon fiber road bike, for example. No way. In fact, that's the whole reason I want to hold my bikes by the wheels.

20. onree

onree Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(steved @ Mar 2 2007, 02:48 PM) [snapback]399180[/snapback]</div>
    steved, I'd love to hear about your experience with the Performance rack as well. From what I can tell, it's identical to the Sportrack 2EZ, and seeing as how it's about half the price of the other three, it's very tempting. Also, the lower weight is a definite plus. My bikes are nothing spectacular, so not worried about contact with the frame.

I guess I have three main questions:

- Does it easily fit female-style bikes with sloping top bars?
    - How easy is it to access the hatch when the rack is loaded up with 1 or 2 bikes?
    - How far back does the rack extend? It doesn't seem like it folds up lengthwise, so how practical is it to leave the thing hooked up for extended duration?

I'm not a rabid cyclist by any means, but we are planning to take the bikes on a road-trip this year and travel-friendliness (e.g., getting junk out of the back w/o unloading the bikes) would be important.