1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thumping noise with brakes

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Snowball, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    After I brake and partially release the brake pedal (not completely letting off) so I can cruise a little further, sometimes I have heard a quick three raps or thumps. Normal?

The brake pedal also seems to make a big clunk when I release the pedal as well. Maybe not a lot of deadening material so I notice the release more compared to my old 1998 Civic?

2. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I'd say it's normal in that mine does the three thumps as well - almost sounds like an air pump to me...

As far as the "big clunk" when releasing the pedal: If you release more slowly/gently it won't do that. I however love to let off it quickly and make it pop. Totally reminds me of my '90 VW Cabriolet which made the exact same sound. Those were good times and I'm happy to get to relive them in a car that's 22 years younger.

3. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

I listened closer today and I think you're right about the air pumping, I also hear hissing as well. Our car makes so many strange noises.

4. type17volkswagen

type17volkswagen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    yes indeed

5. Petridish38

Petridish38 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Any updates on this? I took mine in about a year ago for brake complaints very similar to the OP. It's when I am slowing and almost to a stop. If I back off the brakes while still having them depressed, I hear a "thump" and the car lurches forward slightly resulting in undesired forward motion. It was and still is intermittent, but seems to be growing more frequent. At first I thought it was normal, but i'm worried because it seems to be happening more and more. I have documented the initial complaint with my dealership and I think I am going to bring it up again when I take it in for its next service.

Attached Files:

6. Snowball

Snowball Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I have never sensed the car lurching forward when I hear the thump. I believe it is as others have said, the sound of some kind of air pump. Let us know if anything develops.