1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Thunderbird on Windows XP

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jkash, Aug 12, 2005.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I spend a number of hours cleaning up her computer from a virus last night and this morning. Explorer, Outlook, and McAfee were all trashed. I think I have convinced her to scrap Explorer for Firefox. Do any of you use Thunderbird on XP? If yes, how is it.

Thanks

2. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

I've used Thunderbird for over a year now. I like most everything about it.
    Got Linux at work and Windows XP on my home system.

So Thunderbird give me a common interface that works with both.

Spam blocker feature works pretty neat too.

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Wait till she tries Firefox’s Tabbed Browsing . . . she will be hooked. And the built-in pop-up filter works great too. It amazes me when I hear people complain about pop-ups and viruses.

I have used the Thunderbird email program since its early beta release, and exclusively since the 0.8 beta release. Nothing but good things to say. I think my favorite thing about using Thunderbird (and Firefox) is that thousands independent programers around the world look at the actual code which makes up the program. If there were anything untoward in there, people would scream bloody murder!!! Another favorite thing about Thunderbird is when its spam filter marks a message as spam, if you still decide to open it, all html coding is removed from the message. . . no chance for viruses or worms with that route!!!

Using Firefox and Thunderbird I have yet to get a virus or worm.
    Unfortunately a work related website still requires use of IE, and that unfortunately is still an avenue for infection I have to contend with.

4. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the feedback Patrick and tomdeimos. I have downloaded and installed Thunderbird. Fortunately, I don't have these problems. I'm on a Mac.

5. bookrats

bookrats New Member

On a side note: one of the nicest things about using the Mac Mail program under Tiger is Spotlight-searching of individual e-mail messages.

I've got 10 years worth of e-mail, and I can pull any one of them out of the air in an instant, using Spotlight's search tool.

Very, very nice.