1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ticketed for driving in CA HOV lane w/o stickers?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tmorrowus, Nov 17, 2005.

?
  1. I have received a ticket for driving my 2004+ Prius in the CA HOV lane without stickers (Please post

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I have received a ticket for driving my 2004+ Prius in the CA HOV lane. I have HOV stickers visible

100.0%
  3. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 0-1 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes without

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 1-10 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes without

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 10-20 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes withou

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 20-50 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes withou

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 50+ hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes without

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 0-1 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes with sti

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 10-20 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes with s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 20-50 hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes with s

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. No tickets yet, I have driven my 2004+ Prius for 50+ hours cumulatively in the CA HOV lanes with sti

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. This poll doesn't apply to me because I don't drive a 2004+ Prius.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. This poll doesn't apply to me because I have HOV stickers applied correctly on my Prius.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. This poll doesn't apply to me because I don't drive in the CA HOV lanes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Please only answer this poll if you drive a 2004+ Prius in the CA HOV lane without hybrid HOV stickers correctly applied. If the poll doesn't apply to you but you like answering polls anyway, please use one of the last three choices.

2. Tigerops

Tigerops New Member

The night I picked up my car I drove from LA to Oceanside using the HOV lane most of the way. About an hour in the lane. No problems. I was going to tell a cop that I had just purchased the vehicle and was told that hybrid vehicles could drive in the HOV lanes. What? You need stickers? What stickers? :)

3. Ranger

Ranger New Member

About a week after applying my stickers, on a drive from LA to Oceanside, CHP in Orange County spotted me, saw that I was driving solo, pulled in behind me and hit the red lights. I took both hands off the wheel and put them up where he could see them in a "what the $%ck are you doing" motion. He shortly pulled beside me and waived. It wasn't dark and how the he11 could he have missed those ugly stickers on my black Pri? I had my speach ready if he had actually stopped me...

4. sdjimbo

sdjimbo New Member

I have applied only the 2 smaller stickers on the front/lower left and back/lower right bumpers.

Have had several instances of CHP following me in LA (405 carpool) and SD (15 HOV lane), so far no problems!

5. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I posted details about my ticket in an earlier post.

How unsettling to discover mine is the ONLY ticket so far! Is this a precursor of my karma? Is ma kar pre cursed?

Went to court a few days ago to get a trial date - my ticket wasn't in their system yet after 20 days so, according to them, even if I were ready to pay a fine they couldn't accept it. Doncha just luv gummit?

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA
    THE LAWBREAKER

6. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Does anyone know if these stickers allow us to bypass the meter lights by using the carpool lanes on the on-ramps? I'm guessing yes, but I don't know for sure. I've done it at least once though. :)

7. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The answer is an YES.
    I read that from San Jose Mercury News, Mr/ Roadshow's column.
    A reader was asking exactly the same question. :D
    However, it also mentioned that, even with stickers, you CAN'T drive solo on HOV lanes of expressways (due to an oversight of legistration...). :angry:

8. Deyner

Deyner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

You mentioned Expressways...I don't have my DMV book handy...What are and Where are some examples of expressways? Thanks.

9. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't know where you live but, in SF (south) Bay Area, here are some examples:
    Capitol Expressway, Montague Expressway, San Thomas Expressway, Lawrence Expressway, etc. Those expressways have traffic lights, speed limit of 55mph and HOV lanes. Prius with stickers are NOT allowed to ride on those HOV lanes, according to Mr. Roadshow. He called those "county-level" expressways (I have no clue why?!). :eek:

10. jbarnhart

jbarnhart New Member

Those roads are owned and maintained by the county government, not the state. Even so, CHP has the jurisdiction to give tickets on them. I agree that it is a stupid loophole and I don't see how it was accidentally created. Why does state law supersede local law except in this case?

(Oh, and for the record, the speed limit on Lawrence is 50, and San Tomas/Montague is only 45!)

11. ALoLA

ALoLA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for the reply ceric. I better watch for those expressways the next time I'm up north. :)

12. mehrenst

mehrenst Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm aware of the issue and occasionally use the HOV lane on Montague but it does raise a question or two:
    • Were there absolutely no State funds used in the building, upgrading or maintaining of those roads?
      Is the State 100% reimbursed by the county for the expenses related to CHP patrolling these roads?
    Isn't there someone that is a lawyer, has a Prius, and is willing to test this in court?

13. JKnight

JKnight Member

Thanks for the info on using the diamond lane on entrance ramps. I did it the other morning, bypassed a looong line of traffic, and wondered if I'd get ticketed or not.

Jan

14. jayselle

jayselle Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, after all, California is pretty much it's own country.

15. IDrivePrymaat

IDrivePrymaat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    All 4 are affixed, but to glass: lower rear window, lower windshield, side triangle windows. I checked 20-50 hrs with no tickets.

16. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    JKnight,
    With stickers, you are allowed on the HOV entrance ramps 365 days, 24 hours/day. Note that those entrance ramps have no time period attached. They are full-time (weekend included) HOV lanes. (that is why they are surrounded by solid white lines.)