1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ticking/Rattle Under Light Acceleration

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by ExMachina08, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a slight ticking/rattle noise under light acceleration. When I get on the on ramp and start accelerating as the rpms go up there is a sweet spot at lower rpm where you can hear it rattle and as the rpms increase it suddenly stops. Its not tied directly to the RPM, but seems to be harmonic or related to a certain frequency. I haven't been able to recreate it in the parking lot. Water pump seems ok, no visible leakage. Hasn't thrown any codes and doesn't sound like pinging/bad gas. Any ideas of where else to look?

2. ExMachina08

ExMachina08 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Figured I would update this. Spent some time under the hood shaking and prodding some of the parts that others have listed as causing a similar issue and I believe I have it isolated to the washer fluid reservoir. When it gets hot it seems to sag enough that it comes in contact with the engine mount/wheel well directly below it. I will be pulling the reservoir and adding some foam to see if that will quiet it down.

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  3. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Keep us updated if that fixed it. Good work!