1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tie Rods?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by JMalmsteen, Jan 21, 2024.

1. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hey everyone. We have a 2017 Prime Advanced with 310k miles. It recently failed inspection and needed the tie rods replaced. Our 2007 Prius with 516k miles passed inspection with no issues, go figure :)

The place we initially brought it to said that we would need the entire assembly, that you can't get the tie rods separately. We were quoted $1600.

I brought it to Toyota and paid $675 for outer tie rods and an alignment. They passed it for the safety inspection (PA, this was at Lancaster Toyota).

I got an oil change at another place and was told that the "inner tie rods have excessive play, could be internal play of the power steering rack."

I called Toyota and they are booked until mid February. Have any of you had this issue? It seems strange to have this repair done and a week later to be told the above. I have never had tie rods replaced on a car before. Thanks.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    These are really inexpensive parts online and if you or a friend or family member can safely get the car up in the air they're fairly easy to replace and then you just go get an alignment job and your done. Probably will cost you about $200 total.

3. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Should have replaced inner and outer at same time. Trying to save money?

4. JMalmsteen

JMalmsteen I love my Prius!

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I had Toyota do whatever they thought needed to be done. This is what they did.

5. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There are two tie rod ends, left & right, part numbers 45046 & 45047. Each is about $68. A complete rack & pinion assembly without tie rod ends is $750.
    There are other things that can wear in the steering system, and at over 300,000 miles, expect more and more. Don't expect correct diagnoses from somebody at an oil change place. May be OK, may be not. And perhaps there are more worn and loose parts. A good shop that specializes in front end & alignment work might be a good choice for an evaluation. A complete rack & pinion assembly is $750.

Jen, how is the battery functioning with all those miles? How many miles were on the car when you bought it? How many miles do you get now on a full battery charge before the gasoline engine starts running?