1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time for Service at 43k?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Phatlife, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    The 2015 prius persona is acting up, like it runs more on the ice than the hybrid battery system. battery drainage is relatively fast.. acceleration is very weak.. what can I check myself to see everything is okay, I have 43k miles on this car and new tires.. tires are inflated to 40lbs of nitrogen from Costco.. should I bring this into service and have them check out the vehicle.. I hate to see something wrong, I love this car.. been getting over 58mpg to 68mpg on the oem toyo a20's, recently got new tires Michelin premier as, and the milage tanked to 46 to 52 mpg tops.. hybrid system barley goes to 18 mph and then goes into ice , getting most fuel consumption right now.. can't be the fuel can it? my wife filled up costco premium fuel.. I'm curious what is up with this vehicle, I'm assuming it's the hybrid system and it should be covered under warranty? does it need a tune up already? filters are new under 2 month's and oil was changed about 5k miles on mobil1 hybrid formula with mobil1 extended filter, I normally change the oil at 10k.. what causing this bad fuel efficiency? any clues? I'm going to drop it off to the dealer on Monday or Tuesday.. I'm scratching my head with this one.. wife is complaining of battery discharge quickly as well.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was that the first time you used Costco premium gas? Maybe something going on there?

Just thinking about all the factors: new tires, different gas, heading into winter, could be just a "perfect storm".

Maybe hang on till you've gassed up, with regular from a top tier station, see what that does? The dealership on a fishing expedition sounds expensive.

Just for giggles, feel all four wheels with your hand after an extended drive, see if any feel unusually hot. Barely warm is "ok", anymore indicates dragging brakes.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Same length of trips or are these short duration trips? Has the weather in your neck of the woods cooled off some? Is this the wife's car or how often do you drive it? Do you have an obd2 device that can interface with the car? Any issues with the 12v battery where a door or something has been left on?

As @Mendel Leisk said, the possibilities are endless:).

4. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I don't have a odb reader, I can ask a friend to check for me.. the weather has dropped 30 degrees lower.. that can be a culprit also.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I have one that allows for parameters other than what can be used to be displayed. I got it for under $50 which included purchasing a $10 app. I keep it in our Prius just in case;).

They are powerful diagnostic tools. It pays for itself relatively quickly:).

The cooler temps will play a major role in mpg reduction. How long of a commute and at what speeds do you travel?

6. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    my commute is about 43 miles one way, speeds vary due to traffic, about 34 miles highway 9 miles local traffic. highway speed between 60 to 70 mph. local driving about 45 mph.. in the summer months I get about 60 mpg and winter about 55 mpg..

Ray, can you provide a link so I may purchase the item please.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    A lot of @Phatlife 's description, in this thread and the other one specifically about Michelin Premier's, seems to be about drag, like the car is reluctant to roll, he needs to stay on the gas more. Here's a quote from the other thread, seems like some strong points there:

Again, just for giggle: feel the rims after a drive, see if any are signif. hot.

Still, I keep waiting for him to say: "btw, I have ten fifty-pound bags of concrete in the hatch, could that be a factor?". :ROFLMAO:

bisco and Phatlife like this.
  8. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    trunk is empty, I'll be stepping out soon, a 20 min drive away.. I'll check the rims for any heat.. and follow up soon..

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  9. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    There are many choices. I have a kiwi2 and have it paired with the dash command app for my iPhone. I bought this awhile ago for the wife's 4Runner when we were having some codes thrown. Got me through that, so it paid for itself after the first use :).

Not the best pairing for the Prius as I do not think it will read the hybrid codes, but you can get a mini vci cable and hacked techstream software for that;).

The setup I carry in my car gives enough info if a typical problem arises for troubleshooting. I procured an old laptop from the in laws, so I will be delving into the mini vci and hacked techstream space soon:).

But there are plenty of threads and opinions around here for a good obd2 reader that are better for the hybrids. If you have cars the are 1996 and newer, it is a great addition to your garage.

Keep us posted(y).

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    battery drainage and acceleration are the things that stick out to me. tyres wouldn't have that much of an effect. agree with @Mendel Leisk . when driving around 30 mph, throw her into neutral and see if she seems to glide okay. maybe the gals putting your wheels back on messed something up.

Phatlife likes this.
  11. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Just came back, checked the rims, they are cold.. check the front disc as well it's also cold. so we know it's not the breaks so far. took a long video.. hopefully I can upload this here.. it maybe sideways from the mobile app, my apologies.

how-to throw in neutral, I let go of the gas pedal it slows down vs gliding..

video is to large to upload, 758 megs.

1477794354332.jpg

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just move the joystick to 'N'. when you let off the gas, you are regenerating electricity through MG1, putting a load on the car. neutral disconnects everything and allows a pure glide. if the car seems to roll fine in neutral, you're going to have to have the dealer scan it.

did you get an alignment with the tyres?

Phatlife likes this.
  13. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    no, alignment, same size tires.. they add weights on the rim if necessary..

14. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  15. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    added video to you tube, it's a long video, please take a look when you get a chance please.. :

16. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
  17. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    at the Stealership now, just paid $126 for diagnosis. they will let me know tomorrow.. I love how Stealership tell you hope it's not the hybrid battery, it's very expensive, my response, yeah I'm sure it is.. it's under warranty 10 years and 150k miles.. thanks for the update.. my vehicle is a 2015 and 43k miles.. not 44,300 in your computer, don't these people have anything better to do and try to scare and scam people? I won't be purchasing another vehicle from this Stealership.

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are these two different trips? are you starting with a cold engine? what is outside temp?

Phatlife likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you trying to use ev?

20. Phatlife

Phatlife Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    vehicle should be in ev after initial warmup under 41 mph.. my car does not even go in every mode.. after 20 min.. only goes in every mode after letting go of gas pedal..