1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time magazine 'Man of the Year'

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Dec 14, 2021.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/technol...son-of-the-year-worst-ever-choice-say-critics

Time magazine’s decision to make Tesla billionaire Elon Musk its person of the year for 2021 has been criticised because of his attitude to tax, opposition to unions and playing down the dangers of Covid.
    Musk, who is also the founder and chief executive of space exploration company SpaceX, recently passed Amazon founder Jeff Bezos as the world’s wealthiest person as the rising price of Tesla shares pushed his net worth to around $300bn (£227bn).
    Describing him as a “clown, genius, edgelord, visionary, industrialist, showman”, Time cited the breadth of Musk’s endeavours, from his founding of SpaceX in 2002, to his hand in the creation of the alternative energy company SolarCity in addition to Tesla, the most valuable car company in the world.
    . . .

Whoever is 'Man of the Year,' short of Mother Teresa, is going to attract attention and be criticized. Elon sure irritates some folks ... personality conflicts.

I've experienced such conflicts before and sadly some were brilliant people whose work I admired. Regardless, I've noticed Elon critics cite 'a mote' while ignoring his major accomplishments and that is not right. So when members of my political party behave that way, my interest in supporting them evaporates. I'm not switching sides but being more precise in who I support.

Bob Wilson

2. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    bwilson4web likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there's no way you can mix politics or religion with any human endeavor, and not alienate some people.

for whatever reason, some people cannot separate the issues.

perhaps because they are blinded by teir own viewpoint of 'how things should be'

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meh….

Stalin made the list.
    Twice.

If Time were around in the 1880s, Edison would have been thusly named….warts and all.
    If Time were still relevant in the 2020s in the same way that they and other members of the media USED to be, then it might matter a little more……

#4 ETC(SS), Dec 15, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2021
  5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As did Mikhaul Gorbachev and Deng Xiaoping. Once each for Putin, Andropov, Khrushchev, Khomeini, and Hitler.

This is more about impact than a judgement of good or bad.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Concur…..

7. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've never been fond of celebrating the billionaire club successes, but I'll give credit where credit is due one more time, anyway. Congratulations Eldon
    '

bwilson4web likes this.