1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to change brakes?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by ammdb, Apr 14, 2022.

1. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I have an '01 Prius going on 145k miles, which I'm going to pass on to my son.

My concern is while changing rear hubs, the brake shoes had uneven wear. The top rear shoes were thinner and tapered. Is this normal or does it indicate a brake issue? The pins holding the brake springs were rusted as well.

I coast to a stop, using brakes as little as possible to save gas, but by son's driving style is more typical, rushing up to the stop and then braking. I'm thinking to be on the safe side of changing shoes and rusted parts. I haven't looked at the front brakes but am considering changing pads as well. Car was inspected at the dealer about four years ago, and at that time the pads and shoes were okay.

Are there other mechanical parts that can be replaced preemptively?

#1 ammdb, Apr 14, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2022
  2. AlexY

AlexY Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If i remember it right US gen1 have drums on rear? If yes it is fine. Shoe is worn more on the upper side where brake cylinder push them. Only check drum inside for uneven wear or corrosion.

ammdb likes this.