1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time To Replace The 12 Volt Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Prius_Cub, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yesterday while running errands the exclamation point on the dash illuminated along with the ABS and VSC indicators. I haven't had my Prius for very long but I kind of expected it to happen at some point as I had done the test a few weeks after I bought it and found the resting voltage wasn't all that great but it wasn't causing problems at the time.

I still have about a month left on my initial 90 day warranty from the dealership but they won't sell me the battery unless I have them install it ($$$) so I'm just going to purchase an Optima through Advance Auto Parts and do the swap myself. Not noticing any breaking problems but I did notice according to Torque on my phone (while monitoring Regen torque) that regen wasn't really taking place when the indicators were lit and they do go away after powering down and letting it sit then regen returns to normal.

Attached Files:

2. SteveLee

SteveLee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
  3. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'll definitely be looking into that there :) Thanks

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Keep in mind any third party battery may have different case dimensions, post diameters, vent tubes (or none).

Also, the Prius battery is in the passenger compartment, albeit off at a remote corner, and under a floor board. So the type of battery, the way the electolyte is stabilized, and vented, are more important than say a battery in the engine compartment.

I guess what I'm saying: at least ask your dealership what they want for the kosher battery.

Addendum: Sorry, really didn't read your post right through: you've been to a dealership, and they're refusing to just sell you the part. Try another dealer, or go over someone's head? It should be possible to just buy the battery. There will likely be a "core charge", refundable when you bring in your old one.

5. RAL

RAL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What? I'd be looking for another place to do business after this. How far is the next dealer?

RAL

6. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I may try and sweet talk the service manager into giving me the battery at warranty pricing since this wasn't something they had "caught" during their cleanup and inspection before sale. Last time I looked I'm sure I saw an '08 date code on the battery so it has to be the original. Surprised it lasted this long, lol.

7. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The next Toyota dealer is about 30-35 miles away from me.

8. RAL

RAL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thats not far, around a gallon of fuel round trip in your Prius;). If your dealer was smart he would have just put a new battery in. At the very least he should have sold it to you at his cost.........to try and make you pay to put it in or not SALE YOU ONE?? The Greedy b@st@rd alarms should be going off, loudly.

RAL

9. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very true :) Well, I'm currently waiting for a call back from the service manager, we'll see how this goes :)

10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    "I still have about a month left on my initial 90 day warranty from the dealership..."

What does your warranty say about the battery? Can you scan and post it?

11. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I was going to ask, how do the words "warranty" and "sell me" end up in the same sentence?

RAL likes this.
  12. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I should have clarified, the 90 day warranty through my dealer is all costs covered by dealer within first 30 days / 100% replacement, 31-90 is 50-50 between me and the dealer. Regardless, a call with the service manager resulted in him offering a full free replace and install plus coupons for discounts on services/parts/accessories, yada yada, so I'm satisfied now. Just hard to believe they wouldn't inspect the battery itself or think it would need replacing before sale.

frodoz737 and Mendel Leisk like this.
  13. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good for you. The inspection on used vehicles generally is very basic and a lot of marketing lip.

14. RAL

RAL Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thats more like it. (y)

RAL

15. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks guys :) I'm usually way too nice and am known to go to great lengths to avoid confrontation so I'm glad I came here before going elsewhere to get a replacement rather than hold them responsible. LOL

16. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The old saying "you catch more flies with honey than vinegar" works more often than people think, with a little patience.

17. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Very true. I knew the battery was going to go sometime soon and was hoping it would do it within warranty.