1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time to Use Nuclear Option in "War on Drugs"?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by zenMachine, Jun 18, 2011.

1. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    OFFICIAL: the world has lost the war on drugs. The formal surrender came last week in the form of a report from the Global Commission on Drug Policy, probably the most authoritative body ever set up to study the subject.

Its members include the former UN secretary general, Kofi Annan, the British businessman Richard Branson and the former US secretary of state, George Shultz. They also include three ex-presidents, of Brazil, Switzerland and Colombia. They know all about drugs in Colombia. Come to think of it, we know too much about them here and everywhere else.

But this knowledge has not been well-absorbed, especially in Ireland. Like the rest of the world, we have been waging this war for 40 years or thereabouts, and frantically refusing to believe the evidence...

James Downey: Time to use the nuclear option in the drugs 'war' -- legalise them all - Analysis, Opinion - Independent.ie

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Before I read the article, I thought: "Are they gonna nuke the producers or the consumers?" ;)

But no, the 'nuclear option' is to just give up completely and legalise everything. I'm not so sure that's a good idea. For one, we'd need better drug testing methods for roadside sobriety tests - I would hope driving under the influence of any drug would still be illegal, no matter what drugs cold be consumed legally in the comfort of your own home.

But, there's no question outlawing certain drugs simply enriches the bad guys. It drives up the price, encourages large-scale production and smuggling, and introduces violence.

I would suggest legalising only marijuana would be better. If the people who wanted to could grow a few small plants for their own use, that would remove much of the criminal element. Very few people are going to produce their own cocaine or heroin, and they might just be satisfied with marijuana. Before you go saying 'But that'll lead them to harder drugs!', many studies have shown that's not true. The real 'gateway drug' is alcohol. We already tried making that illegal, and it didn't work out so well. Prohibition created quite a few family fortunes though, many of which are still active in society today. Like, as the article points out, the Kennedys.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder what a world of legal drugs would look like. imagine a store with the drug of your choice for sale? i imagine that would go for pharmaceuticals too.

4. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder that too, every time I see a drug ad. Would 'dope commercials' be a cultural phenomenon like beer commercials are? Would we see thousands of different shapes, sizes and colours of opium bottles, as manufacturers tried to differentiate their products? Would 'drug tasting' be a popular tourist activity, like it is now with wineries? Would there be a 'Marlboro Man' of cocaine? Would Coca Cola go back to its original recipe?

I see not how strange the world would be, but how strange it already is.

5. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No need to wonder. Just go back to the US in the late 1800's. Pretty much everything was legal - and some was in your Coca Cola. Pot wasn't illegal and was actually packaged in cigarette packs on into the prohibition era in the south. I collect cigarette packs and have been looking for any of these (empty, of course.)

6. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The major obstacle to this would be opposition from the profitable businesses and enterprises built around recreational drugs being illegal.

Correctional officers and their unions
    Government run prison officials
    Private prison corporations
    Government prosecutors
    Defense attorneys
    Law enforcement personnel
    The illegal drug business itself

Also the alcoholic beverage industry because they don't want the competition.

4 people like this.
  7. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    lol the only reason they're wanting to legalise it all is so they can TAX it! :cool:

8. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There only a little overlap between that set of tossers and the tossers that make a living off of the illegal drug industry now. You could look at it as power grab by one government/private business faction against another government/private business faction.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't mind a new revenue stream, i'm just not excited about 16 year olds going into the drug emporium for their weekend fun and telling the proprietor they 'left their wallet in the car' like i used to do when trying to purchase a case of beer.

10. mmcdonal

mmcdonal Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As to taxes and yougsters, that is always going to be a problem. Right now, they just need to know someone, and they can get it without conning the proprietor of the local drug emporium.

Legalization would make the cost of the drugs come way down, so the revenue stream on these would probably end up equivalent to the stream from beer and cigarettes.

As to the other arguments, the cost to society, in dollars, deaths and mayhem would eliminated.

Not that I am a drug user, since it is illegal. But I could see this being a good thing in some respects. Not all drugs should be legalized, but perhaps prescribed to grandfather in the current addicts.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the problem with the alcohol comparison is that it was legal and popular before prohibition. although drugs were somewhat legal at some point in time, they have never been popular like alcohol. discounting the common ones like marjuana. and even that only became somewhat popular in the 60's.

12. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The hypocrisy of jailing the sellers but giving the consumers a (relative) free pass dooms the attempt to cut off the trade.

13. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just like the war on almost everything else, the War on Drugs was doomed because of the ignorance of the people who created the war, it has become the status quo, think you can fix something, which you can't, create a money eating and spending war of ideology.

14. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm late to this thread and had a completely different concept of the "nuclear option" on drugs....

Have special forces contaminate illicit drugs with lethal bio-weapons.

Before too long, word gets out using drugs on the black market is Russian Roulette.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    They aren't as ignorant as they might appear to be. If their objective was to build fiefdoms and make money, then they have been very successful.

Prisons, private and government
    Law enforcement
    Correctional officers
    Prosecutors
    Defense attorneys
    etc
    etc

There are countless government agencys, private businesses, unions and individual sharing the billion and billions of dollars being urinated away on the drug war.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sort of evil, nefarious plot has already been tried. Paraquat was used by Americans on Mexican marijuana crops in the 70s. It backfired in several ways, though. Not only was it proven ineffective as a poison for the users (though there's still some question about its role in causing Parkinson's Disease), fears of contaminated crops spurred people to grow their own. We all read in the news every day how popular and successful that has become.

17. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    After posting, the thought of unintended consequences came to mind - most obvious of which who might be killed.

Anyway, something this dracoian is what popped to mind with "nuclear"

18. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Interesting that this article was written from an Irish viewpoint. Apparently the war is failing everywhere.

19. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It was only meant to achieve spending, therefore it failed in what ideology it was supposed to do, because it was never intended to end the use of drugs, just to cause spending.

20. Trebuchet

Trebuchet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Does that include Singapore?