1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Time Travel IS Possible...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Nowadays, after work, I often go for a swim within the extremely warm gulf waters, and it occurred to me one afternoon while simply drifting along amidst lazy strokes, bobbing gently between waves, the scene I was taking in, was precisely the same (excluding the ever changing formations/combinations of the clouds, waves, and the Sun) as it has been for millions of years. For all I knew, if I suddenly got sucked back in time 100,000 in the very same spot, I would probably not know the difference. Perhaps even as far back as a million years, two, or maybe even three... Funny thing is, you stare at it long enough, and weird things tend to happen... On the other hand, I could easily imagine myself as an alien, and thought about what the "Celestial scene" might be like on other worlds, which to me, exist in some fashion or another, whether it be within my imagination, or otherwise, as reality is only a standpoint based upon some other standpoint...

...anyway, as far as I'm concerned, I went back in time a million years (or perhaps, ahead a million years), and here's the pic. to prove it.

:D

[attachmentid=4057]

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    After looking at your picture, I believe you. :)

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's that little spot on the horizon, slightly left of center?
    _H*

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hmmmm. :huh:
    “. . . drifting along amidst lazy strokes, bobbing gently between waves . . .â€
    Sounds like The Squid has found his way home. :D

BUT! While drifting and bobbing between waves, keep an eye out for Dogfish and Hammerhead sharks. THEY EAT SQUID! :eek:
    http://graysreef.noaa.gov/tw/sharks.html

Having seen my fair share of sharks while scuba diving, I know I do not wish to be caught on the surface drifting and bobbing like a seal.

For the longest time, as a joke, and also as a form of relaxation and meditation, I use to do something I called “de-evolving.â€
    After scuba diving, if the surf was relatively small, I would lay there in my wetsuit and mask, parallel to the waves, and allow them to roll me around . . . up on the beach and back into the water. This was my attempt to reverse our evolutionary history and head back into the seas. :lol:
    As a challenge to myself, I would not allow myself to move a muscle. If my head happened to be down in the sand or water, I'd just have to hold my breath. I became very adapt – breath control is an important skill for scuba diving.
    Every once in awhile I would hear someone say, “is he OK?†To which a family member or friend would inevitably say, “the jury is still out on that,†or, “he's never really been OK since the accident.â€
    One time a guy came up and tapped me on the head.
    I looked up and said, “WHAT?â€
    He didn't say anything. He just pointed with what didn't look like a very high angle toward the ocean.
    I turned and looked, and there, not more than 50 feet away was a shark fin bobbing in and out of the water.
    Needless to say, that was my last time tried reversing the natural evolutionary processes.
    Unbeknownst to me, Tomalas Bay and the Point Reyes National Seashore (North of San Francisco) are a major shark breeding ground and nursery.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...0/01/nature.DTL

I still scuba, surf, and play in the ocean, but there is no way I will ever portray myself as shark food again. :unsure:

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 8 2006, 12:03 AM) [snapback]282919[/snapback]</div>
    Cuba

6. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    mmm, pretty sunset. send me the plans for the time machine, will ya? :lol:

i am home :wub:... but i gotta leave again tomorrow :(

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You do it almost every day? Heck, I time-travel every day, though I don't take pictures. Yep, I travel through 24 hours of time every day. So does everyone else.

8. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Jul 8 2006, 03:03 AM) [snapback]282919[/snapback]</div>
    It's Mystery Squid's alien spaceship. :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 8 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]282922[/snapback]</div>

Every once in a while our local newspaper will run an air photo of a pod of underwater sharks nearby to a pod of swimmwers. True Tomales bay is breeding ground to great whites, but they don't seem to attack in the bay, only the ocean. I kayak on Tomales Bay regularily and the sharks are longer than my kayak. It's a little disconcerting to see them glide under the kayak, but they never bother us. However, having been bumped while swimming in the ocean, I now am very leary. The 'bump' pushed me at least 10 feet.

10. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

You need to stop using the Timothy Leary travel agency. :blink:

11. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(grasshopper @ Jul 8 2006, 08:16 AM) [snapback]282980[/snapback]</div>
    Very very funny! Last time I saw Timothy Leary he was on top of 'the bus' (but no, not the original) at the Hog Farm Pignik and he was saying "my mind is going, my mind is going..." It was quite a touching day with many of the psychadelic heavy hitters paying last respects to Leary. He died shortly after.

OKOK I meant leery.

12. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 8 2006, 12:26 AM) [snapback]282922[/snapback]</div>
    When I was at the Great Barrier Reef (snorkeling) our guide told us that only three percent of species of sharks ever attack people. I saw a shark about 3 times. Whether it was always the same one, or different ones I don't know, but the guide told us that the sharks we were seeing were among the 97% that never attack people. So I didn't let it interfere with my snorkeling. It was a bit spooky, though. Each time I saw it, the shark was gliding along the bottom, some 15 or 20 meters below me, I would guess.

The fishes were amazing. Most of the people on the boat were divers. Only half a dozen or so were snorkelers. Our guide told us that the snorkelers actually got closer to the fishes than the divers did, because the bubbles scare them, and he encouraged the divers to do a bit of snorkeling between whiles, as they had plenty of time between their permitted three dives per day. Only one or two ever took his advice.

The divers' bubbles got really big towards the surface, and made a cool "glug-glug" sound when I grabbed them. (The bubbles, that is. Not the divers. There were some divers I'd have liked to grab, but I'm too shy.)

13. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Beautiful Sunset Squid, you almost sound a little romantic there. Found yourself a nice little Florida honey?

14. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Salsawonder @ Jul 8 2006, 02:11 PM) [snapback]283039[/snapback]</div>
    Not yet.... :D

I specifically didn't want to start a relationship in MA knowing full well I'd be moving to FL... However, now that I'm here... B) I believe the appropriate term for such FL females are: "Sun Bunny" :D

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Jul 8 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]283012[/snapback]</div>
    This is why God invented swimming pools and aquariums.

16. grasshopper

grasshopper Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MarinJohn @ Jul 8 2006, 12:02 PM) [snapback]282988[/snapback]</div>

Oh yea, I meant Leery. Sorry, too many trips.

17. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 8 2006, 12:35 PM) [snapback]283054[/snapback]</div>
    Aquariums are pretty, and swimming pools are great for exercise, but there's no substitute for swimming around a reef in warm tropical waters.

Anyone who's ever gone on safari in Africa will tell you that seeing animals in a zoo or circus is nothing whatsoever like the experience of seeing animals in their own habitat. Well, swimming among the fishes on a coral reef in the ocean is nothing whatsoever like seeing them in an aquarium, even if it's one of those big walk-through ones.

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Nice sunset but how bout some winning lotto numbers next time you're traveling?

19. Mystery Squid

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 8 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]282922[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, that is AWESOME!!!!!!

I'm definitely going to try it!!!!

Awesome!

Awesome!

Awesome!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

20. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Jul 8 2006, 03:26 AM) [snapback]282922[/snapback]</div>
    If you're in the ocean you're still on the menu.