1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing chain cap oil leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Salim Charaniya, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Salim Charaniya

Salim Charaniya New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I went for an oil change on my 2013 Toyota Prius (72k miles; single owner / bought new). The dealer told me about engine oil leak on the timing chain cover. He said it will require removing the engine (lot of labor) and will cost $3400. He shared a few pictures (attached). I haven't seen oil leak under the car. No check engine or low oil lights ever. Recently, this car was sitting at the same dealership for 250 days (Oct 2022 to Jun 2023) for a new catalytic converter (after the one in my car was stolen). An inspection performed at the same dealership at the end of June did not mention engine oil leak. But just two months later, the same dealership is telling me that this leak is a "failed inspection" and should be fixed. I have added about 2k miles in the past 2 months.
    How serious is this and does this need to be fixed soon?
    Could the fact that the car was sitting for 250 days have contributed to this oil leak?
    Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    First thing you do my friend is stop going to fooling around with this dealer I know you bought the car there that's a wonderful thing and you should be finished with them I don't know by now or in a few miles check your valve cover gasket just because you should and then replace the oil pressure sensor unit . It's basically in your second picture It's the thing that's covered in oil The fan is blowing air around and it's making that vapor move around generally the vapor is coming at the very end of that sending unit where plastic meets metal and your electrical connection stands up that o-ring or hermetic seal is failed and it's just time for a new oil sensor You don't buy the cheapest You don't have to buy Toyotas unless it's cheap enough but one right in the middle generally does the trick they all are going to leak I don't know somewhere around 70 to 100,000 mi it's a very common where item in Toyotas that are not hybrids.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I would definitely try a few other dealerships, and/or competent independent repair shops. The going rate for this timing chain cover reseal, reported here, was around $1700 USD, and it was done without engine removal.

Too, you can just ignore it, at least for short term. It’s frustrating, messy, but not catastrophic. Keep an eye on your oil level (check the dipstick occasionally).

If you tell that dealership you’ll just leave it for a while, their price may come down, and they may even “discover” they can do the job without engine removal.

BTW, there are a couple of other potential oil leak sources in that area: the timing chain tensioner and oil pressure sensor IIRC, and either of those might also be the source of oil leak. A second opinion (another shop) might help to confirm if it is in fact the timing chain cover that’s leaking.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Aug 29, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2023
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you're noy getting any oil on the ground overnight, and not losing any oil, ignore it