1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing chain endurance miles vs. years?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pasadena_commut, May 27, 2024.

1. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wife's 1998 Accord, which is driven little and still hasn't broken 100K miles, is long overdue for a timing belt change by time, but not even close by miles. It was last changed 12 years and around 17000 miles ago. There is a lot of buzz (but of course no hard data) that those belts really do go bad just due to age.

For the 2nd Generation Prius the only threads I found for timing chain changes were on cars with a lot of miles. That suggests to me that the timing chains fail almost entirely due to usage and not just due to age. That would be reasonable since a timing belt is made of a material (some form of rubber) which is prone to failure from chemical reactions, whereas the chain is metal, presumably stainless steel alloy of some type, and isn't going to be as prone to failing from background chemistry. Also the timing chain on this car looks really simple, no plastic guides or any of that nonsense, and just two pulleys. Is there any history of these timing chains failing from age as opposed to usage?

2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It's as much a question of maintenance as mileage (use).

My 2006 has 220k and no indication of chain stretch. Dipstick had no varnish on it when purchased at 160k and I use 5k OCI. (Don't know exactly how "clean" it is inside because I haven't had to disassemble anything).

On the other hand I have seen late model cars with sludged up engines and measurable chain stretch at 80 or 90k.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Apples and oranges. A timing chain can last decades without degrading.

You already know your wife's car is on borrowed time. That belt letting go is the only thing that needs to happen to make that car a worthless hulk, so think about it.

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Also the timing chain design does have plastic guides - one for the chain tensioner, and a metal backed guide opposite that.

Screenshot_20240527-164009.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually it was always a belt engine was not interference You can just run it down the road until the belt breaks pull it over to the side of the road pull off the covers drop on the belt let the tensioner go throw the plastic covers in the trunk and off you go same with my sienna 1mzfe belt breaks on the road no problem at all tow it home or change it on the side of the road if you like timing chains generally last the life of the engine what does that mean exactly who knows but generally what the manufacturer suggests is lifetime which you know is about a hundred thousand miles or so in my 20 r and 18 RC forklift engines the timing chains would last 20 years easily.

6. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My mistake. Those tend to be a problem in big motors with complex chain paths. The chain wears through the plastic, then it grinds metal off the backing plate, and then kaboom. I have not seen a thread here where a chain failed completely, but a couple where it was stretched enough to throw codes and so was replaced. Anybody know what the state of the plastic on the guides was at that point?

7. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Usually they will break from age the plastic gets soaked with oil tears up the plastic and it snaps tabs break things like that If the chain stretches so much that it can dig into the plastic guide then obviously it's going to chew it up I usually that's where something's been run low on oil or gotten really hot or something weird's going on normally change stretch is a few thousands of an inch