1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing chain help

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Drewdeluxe, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Drewdeluxe

Drewdeluxe New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello - I'm 100% out of my league doing this, at the tail end of a diy head gasket replacement on a gen 2 and having issues with matching up the timing chain when bolting down the cam assembly. Trying to watch videos and search forums, it seems like my harmonic balancer keyway is not at the zero degree / 12 o'clock position, because of this, when I try to bolt down the cam assembly, everything slips out of place. Need advice on how to proceed. PXL_20240107_021750842.jpg

Pixel 8 Pro ?

2. Drewdeluxe

Drewdeluxe New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Edit: typo I meant Gen 3 Prius. Just wondering if installing the crankshaft bolt back into the harmonic balancer and turning the keyway clockwise 90 degrees so it's TDC is okay without any damage?

Pixel 8 Pro ?

3. koukilights

koukilights Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As long as you have the marks on the chain lined up with the dots on the crank and the cams, you'll be fine. There's wiggle room to move the crank and cams a bit.

That's what I like about a chain as opposed to a belt, the timing marks are obvious and large so it's really difficult to mess up timing.