1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timing is everything.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Godiva, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Now that the Republicans are in the minority, they're complaining that they have no input.

I guess the gander finally got sauced.

In June 2004, Nancy Pelosi proposed a "minority bill of rights" that would ensure *all*
    Americans would have representation in the House. She wrote a letter to Dennis
    Hastert suggesting it was perhaps unfair that the minority party was shut out of
    the legislative process, and suggesting a few simple principles to remedy the
    situation.
    Pelosi's proposed Minority Bill of Rights.
    Among her "outlandish" proposals, that Hastert didn't think even worthy of a
    response:

Bills should only come to the floor after full hearings, open subcommittee and
    committee markup, and with members having a full 24 hours to review legislation
    prior to consideration at the subcommittee level.

Bills should normally be considered under a procedure that allows open, full and
    fair debate consisting of a full amendment process that grants all members the
    right to offer amendments or substitutes.

Members should be allowed a full 24 hours to examine bills and conference
    reports before they come to the floor, and rules governing debate must be
    reported before 10:00 pm for a bill to be considered the next day.

Pretty ridiculous, right? How dare those pushy Democrats make such demands.

Fast forward two and a half years.

This week, three Republican members are circulating Pelosi's proposal -- the
    identical one they rejected without consideration when they were in the majority
    -- and demanding it be implemented. Here's a copy of their letter:
    Republican's proposed Minority Bill of Rights.

They have seen the light. They now agree, wholeheartedly, that the minority
    party in fact should be allowed to participate in government. Hallelujah.

p.s. -- Pelosi already said, two weeks ago, that she intended to adopt these
    rules. But I guess the Republicans want to try to make it look like they forced her
    into it.

Now timing is everything.

Bush wants a balanced budget.

"President Bush said Wednesday he'll submit a proposal to balance the budget in five years and exhorted Congress to "end the dead of night process" of quietly tucking expensive pet projects into spending bills."

Well, I'm thinking maybe the time for this was.....uh....six years ago? Even five years ago? Now I'm all for a balanced budget and getting rid of the midnight pork buffet. While it's never too late, I just have to laugh at the timing.

Now he's talking about cooperation and bi-partisanship. No more "my way or the highway."

How interesting that this comes when there is suddenly a Democratic majority. And with only two years to go? As if the next president doesn't have enough on his plate. I have to wonder if this would be such a priority if the Republicans were still in control. (And for that matter, if Pelosi's minority Bill of Rights would even be considered if there were still a Republican majority.)

Yes, timing is everything.

2. Jack Kelly

Jack Kelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Repugnantkins have forfeited their right to much input, and they know it. Whatever Pelosi gives them will be gravy.

3. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The saddest thing is, that whatever is given to them they will feel is a right. (A right they'll do everything to abuse.)

And when once again the shoe is on the other foot, they will revert to business as usual.