1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Timothy Treadwell Deserves a Salute.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mystery Squid, Feb 26, 2006.

1. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I just watched one of the best documentaries EVER: "Grizzly Man". If you haven't heard of it, it's about this guy who goes out into Alaska and lives with Grizzly bears. He managed to do it for 13 summers until he was killed by a bear. Fascinating, absolutely fascinating documentary.

Here's to you Tim!

[Broken External Image]:http://www.missoulanews.com/photos/movies/0513Film1.jpg

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    saw the segment about him on 60 minutes last fall. he was eaten by the bears. too bad we didnt get to listen to any of the audio.

he was brave and provided a lot of valuable information about bears

3. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Great movie indeed. Not bad from a self taught filmmaker. I love Herzog's films.

4. Mystery Squid

What really put it into perspective for me, was how some of his "detractors" claimed the bears merely tolerated him as something of an "oddity" within their territory, not quite sure knowing what to do with him.

I say BS. 13 summers is NO coincidence (funny, how a negative opinion can put everything into a more "proper" light).

Besides, we are ALL animals anyway. He learned how to co-exist with them, one unfortunate incident, for which there could have been numerous reasons for, does NOT off-set 13 summers... No way, no FRIGGIN way.

5. Mystery Squid

I don't know about valuable information, but rather how he managed to co-exist for so long with no incidents. I suppose that IS valuable information, but I guess I see "valuable information" as something more amongst the lines of ultra-detailed scientific reports with plenty of data...

6. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but he and his girlfriend weren't killed by the bears that he studied/filmed/co-existed with, it was unfortunate that they had to prolong their stay over few days and encountered unknown bears that took their lives. Treadwell himself was a fascinating character with so much drive for stardome.

7. Mystery Squid

I don't think that's right, I believe it was a bear he had named "The Grinch". One of the few that didn't get along with...

I don't know if I'd call him a "fascinating character" by any means though. I think what makes it fascinating was that he, for all intents and purposes, was an utter "loser" in life, who simply stopped and followed his heart 100%. THAT'S what I think made him ultimately fascinating... I really don't think he was shooting for stardome at all with this, rather he had given up on stardom after he supposedly lost out to Woody Harrelson (sp?) for the role of bartender in Cheers...

Of course, that's another great thing about this movie, you can sit around and have a billion discussions from a billion different angles...

8. Catskillguy

Catskillguy New Member

What about the Native American who said he did more harm to the bears than good... by making them 'aclimated' to humans, instead of having some uncertainty/ fear about us. He said that his actions were in conflict with 7000 years of his people's dealings with the bears (I believe he said 7000.. maybe it was 2000)...

9. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Mainly, that they are a wild animal and you can get eaten by them?

10. Schmika

Schmika New Member

It is all a matter of perspective!
    I just heard a joke, went something like this. A man and his son were listening to a show where the narrator said the best defense against bears is to carry bells and pepper spray.

Later the son asked his Dad what the difference was between how you act around grizzlies and brown bears. The Dad said "Son, when you are out walking, look for a pile of bear poop. If the pile of poop has berries and twigs in it, it is a Brown bear because that is what they eat. If you find a pile of poop that smells like pepper and has bells in it....RUN!!!!!"

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I listened to Herzog's commentary and he states, that all the bears that he co-existed with were already in hibernation when he was killed and Herzog bases this on Treadwill's diary.
    I find him fascinating whether he was considered a "looser" or not.
    He had a drive for stardome throughout his life, unfullfilled being driven to alcoholism where he ultimately ended up with the bears.

12. Mystery Squid

I don't agree with his opinion. To put is simply, we're animals like any other, and I believe there are some "universal rules". People have lived in the wild with Apes, why not Grizzly's...

13. Mystery Squid

The FACT (lol) is that no one knows for sure, hence my use of the word "believe", and "don't think that's right".

You, on the other hand, make it "appear" as FACT, such wasn't the case... :rolleyes:

14. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I wonder if, on a website dedicated to Timothy Treadwell, they're talking about the Prius? :blink:

15. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

but Herzog's interpretation is closer to a fact than your believe :)

16. Mystery Squid

:lol:

17. Mystery Squid

Not my belief per se, as he's the one that speculated/discussed on "The Grinch" bear early on in the documentary...

:blink:

Although I do find it HIGHLY entertaining our overall assessment of the documentary is nearly identical... beyond that, seen through two TOTALLY different spectacles... :lol:

18. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

I think it's time for you to visit the bears. You can confront the grizzlies about the FACTS. Perhaps they will spare you as squid might be a nauseating and repulsive substance to them ;)

19. dpframing

dpframing "Nobody tells me what to do, not even me."

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Easy Maggie. I LIKE squid. :p

20. Mystery Squid

As opposed to THIS: