1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

tin can phone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by jmann, Jul 15, 2006.

1. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So, my brand new #7 prius came with this great feature: a cordelss tin can phone. Yep, that bluetooth thing's micophone sound like a tin can. how could this be so bad. Why didn't toyota fix this like six model years ago?

is there any reason why I should not just change the microphone myself? I am tempted to use something like the Audio Technica at-899's or Senheiser MKE-2's I have "sitting around."

2. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jul 14 2006, 09:38 PM) [snapback]286582[/snapback]</div>
    I am suprised to hear that. I am in field sales and use the bluetooth hours on end. I have yet to receive any complaints (in fact people say I sound crystal clear)...except when trying to use it with the window down.

Maybe you just have a bad one?

3. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jul 15 2006, 12:38 AM) [snapback]286582[/snapback]</div>
    I would say, sure do that, but I thought I read somewhere around here about how that would not work.

At times, it can be like a 'tin can'. But I changed from Verizon to Cingular, it got much better. Not sure if that will help you, but if you do switch the mic, let us know how it goes.

4. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well, the cell phone audio is pretty lossy, so I wouldn't waste my time installing a high-end mic when I can't even hear the difference in performance. The fact that it is basically a speakerphone doesn't help, either. In short, I wouldn't blame the preinstalled mic. Using a lavalier mic is most effective when it is placed up against your chest approximately six inches below your chin.

Because of the small size of the pickup of the lav mic, most of the presence of the voice is actually picked up through vibrations in the chest and not the open air. That's why I am always puzzled by presenters who will hold the lavalier mic in front of their face instead of properly affixing it to their shirt or tie. They just sound, well, as you put it, like they're speaking into a tin can.

BTW, both of the mics you mention require phantom power You'll have to be pretty creative to get that wired in.

5. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(brandon @ Jul 15 2006, 03:35 AM) [snapback]286629[/snapback]</div>
    I have come to like these two microphones for their overall preformace in vocal applications, not sound quality.
    No, direct head placement works best. In short, this is because of the inverse-squared attenuation in three dementional space from a point source (mouth). Also, in direct head placement distance from the source is maintained constant and more secure with fewer stray noises.
    lavs have omni pickup patterns. As a result, the closer the the point source, the better. (when that is your goal)
    They do not require phantom power. They do, like all condenser microphones, require a DC bias voltage to charge the plates of the condenser. Typically anything between 2 and 10 volts works fine. This DC bias is either connected over a third lead or carried by the sifnal lead a filtered out by a high pass filter. the microphone in the prius already has DC bias supplied to it.

I have been mixing front of house live sound (front of house engineering) in mediaum(150-300 seats) to large (500-700 seats) venues for about 12 years for vocal theatrical and musical applications. Additionally I am an Electrical Engineer.

I'll report on my result when I get around to conducting further tests.

6. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jul 15 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]286967[/snapback]</div>
    No, no. I agree that the mics are best suited for vocal applications. What I am saying is that I suspect it won't matter how well the microphones perform; by the time the cell phone compresses the audio, transmits, is received and then reproduced on a crappy handset, you won't hear the difference.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jul 15 2006, 08:17 PM) [snapback]286967[/snapback]</div>
    Well, let me rephrase to say: In my experience, placement around the chest area reproduces the most natural sound. In the case of the two models you mention, the respective manufacturer indicates you can wear them next to your bosom, they can be headworn, or they can be woven into hair. You won't achieve the best performance from the mic if you mount it in the same location as the existing mic in the Prius, for the precise reasoning of the inverse-square law.

I'm sure you know, but for the record, not all lavs have omni pickup patterns. Most do, but some have cardioid, for example. But you're right, for this application, omni's probably your best shot. I'd say go hypercardioid, but I don't know of any hypercardioid lav mics.

They may not require phantom power specifically, but they still need to be powered, and the right amount of juice has to come from somewhere. I'm guessing as an electrical engineer you'll be able to siphon that from the car somehow. Otherwise you'll be going through a lot of AAs! Now, does the signal have to be line level by the time it interfaces with the car, or how do you plan to work that?

Cool. My university training is in radio and television production, but these days I pay the bills full-time as a computer systems analyst. I freelance to stay involved with some sports production in the fall/winter and conference production (600-1,200 seats typical) in the spring/summer. While in school I did some broadcast engineering/studio installation.

Call me a pessimist, but I don't think you'll find much of an improvement by swapping out the mic for something higher-end. But hey, it's your time and money :) , so best of luck to you and keep us updated!

7. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As a holder of two sound engineering degrees, I wait to see how this all works out. Before I was a preacher, I did sound on many levels, from the rank amateur, to the pro level. Worked in radio as a DJ. And worked at recording studios.

So, I won't add my two cents on this, but I do want to see what you work out.

8. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is not the compression. it is the microphones (or the preamps, or the A/D or something else).

If you go into the test mode on the MFD, you can record and play back recordings. These sound like a tin can, so it is not the bluetooth->compression->phone thing.