1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tint in Prius, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by asaulo1, May 1, 2006.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Junior Member

I just read up on some guy having problems with Black Diamond Tinting in Valencia, CA. so I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations as to where I should go to have my car tinted. I am in Valencia as well...... thanks.

2. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My recommendation is a bit of a drive south from where you are: Picture Perfect Detailing in Signal Hill (next to Long Beach). I had my windows tinted there ($170 for all windows excepting front windshield w/lifetime guarantee/warrantee against warping, peeling, cracking, etc). I've been very happy with the tint job the guys did on my black Prius, it looks fantastic! It took ~2 hours for them to do the whole tint, they didn't have to take apart the doors to tint the side windows...threw in a free car wash afterwards too.

Here's their info:

Picture Perfect Detailing
    2060 E 28th St
    Signal Hill, CA 90755
    (562) 988-1777

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rancid13 @ May 1 2006, 05:37 PM) [snapback]248188[/snapback]</div>
    That's a great price. At lunch today I went to a recommend place in Fremont to get a quote and they want $320 for the same job (all windows except the windshield and lower rear one). Guess I'll have to look around more.

4. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I'm also in Fremont and wonder where you went? I was thinking of checking out a few places, but haven't heard any recommendations. I'm also looking to get a clear bra.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 1 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]248202[/snapback]</div>

5. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I went with Lumar Film also went to a reputable dealer charged me 125
    20% rear / 35% front whole car done in 2hrs. Limited lifetime warr for fade, cracking, bubbeling & peeling. thru Lumar window films. Here in Florida, but they should have dealers all over you have to shop around for the best price.... Rancid13 sounds like she got a good deal.!! ;)

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ May 1 2006, 07:21 PM) [snapback]248243[/snapback]</div>
    I went to AutoMall Tint. It's on Christy. Looks like they do good work and maybe the price is ok for this area, I don't know yet.

Tried to go the the place the dealer uses but they were closed. That place is called Window Tint (imagnative name) and it's right in that neighborhood on Albrae. Unfortunately they were closed, I think because of the protests today.

Another place recommended is Mr. Tint on Stevens Creek and San Tomas in San Jose. They were also closed today so I didn't get any pricing.

Jeff

7. trvlnagain

trvlnagain New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Does anyone have recommendations for tinting and/or 3m bra installation in the Denver area?

Thanks...

8. olcorral

olcorral New Member

I took my wife's car there at AutoMall Tint a few months ago and they did a good job for $200 for all 5 windows (4 sides and the rear).
    Today, I'm taking mine to Rocky Mtn Window Tint in Fremont (Thornton near Fremont Blvd by Dale Hardware) to get all 7 of my Prius windows done for $200. They have Llumar tint that has a good reputation and lifetime warranty.
    I was going to AutoMall, but as San_Carlos_Jeff said, they were too busy for me yesterday protesting.
    Window Tint has never been open to my knowledge. I have gone by there many times and have yet to see anyone there.
    I can post the address and phone# for Rocky Mountain later on when I get home. They were working on a new Acura yesterday and it looked great!
    olcorral

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 1 2006, 08:25 PM) [snapback]248356[/snapback]</div>

9. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I'll check both of them out. I was thinking of getting the Hüper Optik Ceramic tint at Auto Mall since it won't interfere with the GPS and it looks like it has good insulating capabilities.

10. bshef

bshef Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(San_Carlos_Jeff @ May 1 2006, 03:53 PM) [snapback]248202[/snapback]</div>
    I just got off the phone with Richard from "Picture Perfect".
    He was very excited to hear that I was referred to him from the "internet". He starts laughing and reports I'm like the 5th peep that has told him that!
    Can anyone say "group discount"?
    I didn't mention that to him although I was thinking it!

$170 is what he quoted me too.....plus $20 if they come to your residence or work to install. Lifetime warranty and they use "Suntech" film? Not up on which films are good or bad! :blink:

11. aalpenia

aalpenia New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ May 2 2006, 01:26 PM) [snapback]248631[/snapback]</div>
    Aaron,

Let us know your experience with Huper Optic and Auto Mall. I am leaning that way myself.

12. kabiblueline

kabiblueline Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    trv-

I had a good experience with IDS Window Tint in Littleton.
    IDS Window Tint

I had them install Huper Optik tint and a 3M mask on my 05.
    I drove all the way up form Colorado Springs because they were the only place I could find that dealt with Huper Optik.
    The guys were real friendly and did a good job. The price was reasonable, as I recall.

Rich

13. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Won't interfere with the GPS? What do is meant by that? Where is the GPS located in the Prius that the tint (what kind of tint) would interfere?
    Now I'm a little concerned with this.
    A little clarification, please?
    I am going to get the Llumar tint in about 2 hours!!!
    Thanks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(aaronw @ May 2 2006, 11:26 AM) [snapback]248631[/snapback]</div>

14. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(XGasGuzzler @ May 2 2006, 11:46 AM) [snapback]248639[/snapback]</div>
    They said the Huper Optic is a lot thicker and harder to work with and quoted me about $500 for that. I think I'll go with something cheaper. For the cheaper tint on all the windows it looks like it's around $300. I'll also call Rocky Mountain Tint and get a quote there as well.

15. San_Carlos_Jeff

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(olcorral @ May 2 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]248642[/snapback]</div>
    Hey olcorral,

How did it turn out? Are you happy with their service?

TIA, Jeff

16. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I set up an appointment to get my car tinted at Rocky Mountain since they're considerably cheaper than Auto Mall. I misquoted the cost of the Huper Optic... it's $570, which is more than my budget. Hopefully the Rocky Mountain job will be OK. They quoted me $200 to do all of the windows.

17. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here is some unbised information about window film.. (taken from the net).

When you choose the right auto tinting for your car’s windows, you’re making an investment that will pay off in several ways. Not only does auto tinting look stylish, but it cuts down on the sun’s glare, cooling your car’s interior and making it easier for you to see clearly on bright days, reduces the visibility into your car, which detracts thieves, and can even make your windows stronger, protecting you against flying pebbles and other debris which can puncture your windshield.

Advancements

Window tinting has come a long way since the days of bubbling purple sheets peeling off hatchbacks’ windows. Advancements in the technology of window tinting have allowed professionals to install tinting that looks like it’s just a part of the original window. Scratch-resistant coatings help the windows to keep their gleam even after years of rolling windows up and down. Your car’s interior will look as good as new as well; studies have shown that tinted windows can deflect up to 60 percent of the sun’s heat that streams through your windows. They can also keep out up to 99 percent of the sun’s UV rays. Keeping heat and light away from your seats extends their life.

Benefits Of Tinting

Heat rejection and a custom look for your auto are the two outstanding reasons most people consider auto window tinting. In the last few years several of the major manufactures involved in making window film have gone to great expense in developing a product that gives heat rejection rates of over 60%. These high performance products, usually referred to as reflective, hybrid, metallized or metal films, generally carry a lifetime warranty against turning purple, bubbling and peeling, as well as a special scratch resistant coating. The scratch resistant coating can protect your investment from every day use of rolling the windows up and down. Along with the enhanced performance and warranties available with quality metallized films, you can also be assured of the great custom look window tinting will give your car.
    Glare reduction and protection from harmful UVA and UVB rays that harm you and your car’s interior are also excellent reasons to purchase tinting. Whether it's the blinding glare of the sun or the friendly interstate tailgater, tinted windows can be an answer to the problem. Medical experts and auto upholstery technicians both have long known what the damaging UV rays from the sun, even on cloudy days, can do to our skin and auto interior! NO MORE - - today's quality tinting materials eliminate up to 99% of these UV rays before they can get into your auto.

Tinting has always been associated with increased security for your auto, what a thief does not or cannot see usually will be left alone! Recently, some window film manufacturers have introduced safety tinting that can strengthen your windows to a point even a baseball bat wielding thief will have a tough time breaking into your auto through the windows. A somewhat overlooked safety aspect is in the event of an auto accident, window tinting can help shattered glass hold together helping to prevent it from spraying the inside of the auto with sharp splinters of glass.

Last, but certainly an important consideration in your decision to purchase tinting, would be the years of comfort a quality tinting product will give you and your auto. Dollar for dollar, window tinting for your car improves the looks and protects your interior better than any other aftermarket product available anywhere! SHOP GLOBALLY - BUY LOCALLY

Every day thousands of people make what they think will be a simple decision - to have tinting applied to their vehicle's windows. The decision can quickly become complicated when they start shopping around. To start, within many local markets, the installed price can vary over $100 from one shop to the next for tinting the same vehicle. Then there are the different kinds of tinting from various manufacturers - non-reflective, hybrid, full metal, titanium, stainless steel - with colors ranging from bluish to gray or charcoal to the coffee brown found in bronze/stainless steel tints.

There are also different installation methods. Some shops leave a small gap or micro-edge at the top of the roll down windows, while other shops take the tinting all the way to the edge of the glass when the window is rolled down. The latter method looks much better, but can cost more because of the extra time involved in installation. Rear windows can usually be formed from one piece of tinting material. The one-piece rear window installation, when possible is preferable over the rear window being installed in several pieces. One-piece rear windows can also cost more due to the extra time and expertise needed for this type of tinting installation.

The price each shop charges for vehicles can depend on several variables.
    Three of the most important are:

Brand Name
    Type of material used
    Quality of the installation itself
    The major tinting manufacturers usually have three different qualities of tinting materials available to the local tinting shops.

The lowest quality is referred to as a non-reflective/dyed material. This type of tinting, usually the cheapest, has the shortest guarantee, and has a tendency to turn purple and form bubbles over time.

Next is the hybrid or high performance tinting which is the best selling product nationwide. Hybrid tinting is referred to as a reflective product, but don't let the term reflective confuse you. This type of tinting has a slightly different appearance and color from the non-reflective. The big difference is hybrid tinting rejects much more solar heat and the product warranties are much better than the standard non-reflective products. Most major tinting manufacturers offer extended or lifetime warranties for the hybrid/high performance products.

The next grades of products are the relatively new full metal tinting materials. These products usually have the same or slightly higher solar hear rejection statistics when compared to hybrid tinting materials. The warranties for full metal tinting are usually lifetime and some include a clause against fading of the material over an extended period of time. The higher reflective qualities of full metal tinting products are objectionable to some buyers.

Care should be taken in choosing what type of tinting material best suits your needs.
    To make your final decision on who will tint your windows, there are a few questions you should ask your local tinting shops. Based on the information found in this section, you should be able to make an informed decision that will add comfort, beauty, safety and value to your auto for years to come.

Questions

1. How many cars do you tint? How long will it take?

2. Can I see examples of your work?

3. What are the local laws?

4. What is the guarantee?

5. What brand and type tinting does the price include? Make sure you understand the warranty for the type of film quoted.

6. How do you finish the top edge of roll down windows? Is there a gap, or no gap?

7. Will the rear window be installed in one piece?

tint manufacturers
    Solar Guard
    Sun Guard
    Johnson
    Llumar
    Madico
    V-Kool
    Huper Optik

State laws regarding window tint, in general, regulate the required amount of visible light transmission or VLT that passes through your tinted windows. Laws also vary depending what type vehicle you own, a passenger car or multi purpose vehicle.

As both window tint and window glass block some available light transmission, the law first defines which way it measures.

FILM - Measures the light transmission of the window tint only
    FILM + GLASS - Measures the total light transmission of the window tint and glass, after the window tint has been applied to glass
    VAGUE - The law/language is unclear. This means the laws are then subject to interpretation by local law enforcement.
    The law now defines how dark you can tint your windows on either your passenger vehicle (typically a car) or your Multi-Purpose Vehicle (MPV - typically a vehicle used for passengers or deliveries on a truck chassis or 4 wheel drive). The law then can define separately how dark the windshield, front side windows, back side windows, and rear windows can be as follows.

WINDSHIELD - If a measurement appears in this area, you may have a tint visor as far down as the number of inches specified. If AS-1 appears, you may have a tint visor as far down as the AS-1 line marked on your windshield. The AS-1 is marked as such at the edge of your windshield usually about 5 inches down from the top.
    FRONT SIDE, BACK SIDE, REAR WINDOW - Defines the amount of visible light transmission or VLT required for each window on the specified type of vehicle (car or MPV). This allowed darkness or VLT is usually indicated with a percentage indicating the amount of light that must pass through the window to be legal. Some states are listed as NR, indicating that the law permits unspecified "non-obstructive/restrictive" or "transparent spectrally selective" tinting materials.
    The last sections are yes/no sections.

LEFT&RIGHT MIRROR - some states require that you have left and right mirrors installed if you tint your windows. Yes indicates that they are required.
    CERTIFICATE REQUIRED - Some states require manufacturers or installation shops to certify their window tint as meeting legal requirements usually by measuring the tinting with a VLT meter. A yes indicates that this is required.
    STICKER/LOCATION - Some states require a sticker on the vehicle indicating that is legal tinting.
    YES - sticker required
    NO - sticker not required
    SPEC - sticker required in a specific place
    DRIVER - required between window tint and glass on driver's side window
    DOOR - required on driver's side doorjamb
    ALL - required between window tint and glass on each tinted window
    RECOMMENDED - usually for states that allow "officer discretion" in enforcement of the law.
    MEDICAL EXEMPTION - refers to whether or not the state allows medical documentation to allow for darker than legal tint for certain medical conditions.
    ** These tables are guides only. Please refer to your state's laws are regulations as well as local regulations before tinting any windows, either as a customer purchasing window tint, or an installer applying window tint.

You can check your state Laws here regarding window tint darkness:
    http://www.autowindowtintings.com///stateLaws.ihtml

I hope this helps everyone in their quest for window tinting. :)

18. aaronw

aaronw Junior Member

I got my windows tinted at Rocky Mtn Tint in Fremont. They did all 9 windows. I used a darker tint for the back window and 70% tint for the rest of the windows. They use the AT Lluma Star tint, which is an OK tint from what I can tell. They warranty it for 5 years. The car ahead of me had his rear window tinted by them back in 1999 and it still looked good. They said it would take 2 hours to do, but was closer to 3. After I drove off I saw that they messed up with the two tiny front windows and returned to have them redo them.

The only issue with the tint is I cannot use ammonia based window cleaners on the interior of the car and they removed all the stickers on the inside of the windows. I don't know if the alarm stickers do much if anything to deter thieves.

I ran the diagnostics for the GPS both before and after the tint job. I see little, if any, difference. The levels are maybe slightly lower (some were a bit higher) and it got 6 satellites each time (though a couple were different satellites).

When I asked them if it would affect GPS they just looked at me funny and seemed to have no idea.

-Aaron

Driftwood Pearl, Package 7

19. priusri02915

priusri02915 New Member

:blink:

Does anyone happen to have any experience in getting tint installed in Rhode Island or near by Mass?

I bought SnapIt Tint, but now realize that I need to get it professionally installed.

Thanks,

Mike.

20. pirus_2005

pirus_2005 New Member

Anyone happen to have any experience in getting tint installed in Northern Virginia ?
    Please Suggest
    Thanks