1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tint on the windshield

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by AlphaTeam, Apr 13, 2006.

1. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are there any downsides to putting tint on the windshield? I have a good friend who's in-laws have a tint buisness. They found a tint that claims to not interfere with GPS. The other downside is getting stopped by the cops all the time. I'm going today to see an optimoligist to get a persciption for the tint.

2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Some states allow a strip along the top, so maybe that's your best move if you can get it.

I'm sure my installer would have let me pay for that if it was allowed here...

3. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I had a tint strip across the top of my windshield. I felt claustrophobic bacause of it, but it did help with the sunlight. (I'm in Phoenix, so there is plenty of sun B) ) When I replaced the windshield due to a crack, I did not replace the tint strip. It was a very dart strip, though. For something as critical as the windshield, I would see I you could find a temporary example of the tint to use for a week or so to see if you like it.

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 5" tint strip across the top of my windshield; ot os medium tint and I love it. It does not limit my vision nor create a sense of claustraphobia. Take a look.....
    Because there is NO factory tint strip on the windshield, I felt this was a necessary add.

5. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]239070[/snapback]</div>
    That does look very nice.

The law here is you can have a 4 inch strip. I was thinking about doing the whole thing.

6. Schmika

Schmika New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AlphaTeam @ Apr 13 2006, 12:06 PM) [snapback]239128[/snapback]</div>

Getting stopped by the cops isn't the biggest hassle, it is getting a ticket and having to remove it. Check your local laws then take your chances.

7. Compfool

Compfool New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cairo94507 @ Apr 13 2006, 10:16 AM) [snapback]239070[/snapback]</div>
    What percent did you go with? I am having my windows tinted tomorrow and as of right now I am going 30% all around with nothing on the front.

Adam

8. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Get the prescription and get the tint if you drive into the sun alot. The downside is that your visibility is somewhat reduces at night. Use a light version. I used 60 percent on the windshield and 40 on the sides and rear.

It makes a huge difference in my comfprt level. I drive into the sun in the morning and the afternoon. I can set my AC at a much more economical level now that I don't have to feel the sun on my skin through the windshield.

We have inspection and registration stickers here in Texas. I carefully mounted both to my windshield and the tinter carefully cut around them so I could easily replace the stickers each year. I make the inspection guy let me apply the sticker as it's quite tricky to get perfectly aligned in the cut out space of the tint. You will need your doctors letter for the inspection. I found a station that would accept the letter and just take it there.

9. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a 6" strip of 35 on my windshield. Its of great help with the Florida sun. In my former car I had much darker on the windshield top and side windows. It was great during the day a dangerous at night. This time i just went with the higher grade Formula ONe Pinnacle ceramic in a much lighter tint, the 35.

10. joy

joy New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(David @ Apr 14 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]239988[/snapback]</div>
    I am getting my car next week and they are tinting it with the formula one pinnacle film as well. I origionally wanted the 35% all over, but she recomended putting the 15% in the back. I really don't want it too dark, do you have any photo's of yours. So did you put the 35% all over or just in the front as well? Any advice would be much appreciated.

11. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've used 20% on the rear sides, and 35% on the rear hatch. I'd do it that way all over again.

For my front shade strip, I have 5" of 20%. If you're going to do the strip - make it plenty dark to be useful.

I personally wouldn't tint my whole windshield even if it were legal. It is the inside glass that I clean the most, and I don't like having to be careful with the film on it. Plus I want as much light transmission for night driving.

12. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have the 35 on the side windows and the 15 on the hatch window. On my 2004 Prius I had the 15 on all the windows and it just wasn't safe for night driving. On my 2006 I told them to not put any on the lower strip of a window on the hatch. This helps at night. In hind sight I probably should have put 35 on the strip.

With the 6" stripe on the windshield you can really feel the difference in heat transmission on the dashboard between the section that gets direct sunlight and that that goes through the tint. I may borrow a piece of 60 and see how it works on the lower part of the front. I do a lot of night driving and need the visibility.