1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tint options?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by bikeboy999, Jun 17, 2013.

1. bikeboy999

bikeboy999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I was at a detail shop today and he showed me his Honda with 20% all around. I think I want to have 20-30 in fr and 15 in rear. Any one have any photos of a Prius with that combo of 30-15? And since I have the Cdn equivalent of a v Five. Should I go for Ceramic all around (store uses Llumar film). Sales guy suggest just rear window in Ceramic to save some coin, but I would rather have ceramic all around? Do I need to?

Brian

2. bikeboy999

bikeboy999 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Also, has anyone ran afoul of the law in a different state/province because of "legal" tints in their home area?

Brian

3. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In Ontario, no tint is guaranteed to be legal on the front side windows, the backs can be any tint.

5. Maz94protege

Maz94protege New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    dumb laws in my state of Virginia only allow 50% on the front and 35% on the rears. My VOLT is tinted 30% up front and 25% on the rears, But ill do 35% all around on the prius here very soon. looks clean and even.

Ive seen some tint pics by searching on google/bing. Search Prius Tint, and that should help.

6. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's 20% 3M grey all around. I'm not legal since the state mandates no more than 30% on the front windows. But, this really works nice. Cost was about $320 including visor and 5 year no-fault replacement.
    7-3-13 2.jpg

7. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I chose 35 on side, 20 front. Though not a V, you get the idea.

I think 35% on sides are perfect. 20 % is on darker side for side windows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A

Depends on where you're at I suppose. Here, at 5000 ft elevation under a cloudless sky at 100'F, 20% feels pretty great.
    A/C works about 1/2 as hard.

9. Sfcyclist

Sfcyclist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    You're right it's all about location. With the ceramic tints, you now don't need to go dark for heat resistance.

I would imaging it doesn't get too hot in Ontario?

10. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Its good to avoid confusing the reflection of infra-red heat "rays" with the avoidance of interior heat. The suns rays generate heat inside the vehicle just the same with low tints as they do with no tint. UV rejection is the same, it has no effect on interior heat. So the low tint ceramic and similar films do prevent heat from being transmitted from outside to inside, but only darker tints prevent heat from being generated inside.

That said, the dark tints DO cause the glass to get warmer than no/low tint, but the net heat gain is still reduced greatly because the interior surfaces are not being warmed. A person is an interior surface too.

None of this matters when a car sits out in the sun, (after about 20-30 min), it still gets hot inside. When it matters is in cooling down a hot car and keeping it cool. But as said, its all about where you're at and how strong those suns rays are.

11. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    We got 35% all around on our new Ford Fusion Energi as a part of the haggle back on Memorial Day weekend. Turned out great. The car stays cooler, the driver and passengers squint a LOT less, looks great from the outside, and yet doesn't look like a rolling night club. Might not be exactly completely absolutely legal in our fair state of Virginia, but cops don't seem to key in on 35%... so far. With 35%, one can look into the car from the outside, and that seems to pass the common-sense test for Officer Friendly. We used 3M.

I'm now thinking of running 35% on the PiP too.