1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Tint warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by zijlstra, Apr 30, 2007.

1. zijlstra

zijlstra New Member

I just got my Prius back from the window tinting shop and to my horror they totally screwed up the plastic panels below the windows. They're totally melted in several spots. According to the shop they didn't know that the material was so 'sensitive'. Obviously they ordered new ones from Toyota (only $1000.00, what a bargain!), but it's quite a hassle to go thru the whole repair procedure now.

So, if you're thinking about getting your windows tinted you might want to talk to the shop beforehand and let them know that the door-panels melt very easily and that they need to take extra care, esp. with the rear-doors.

I DO like the look of the tint by the way.

2. faith2walk

faith2walk Upgraded again

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(alaskaprius @ Apr 30 2007, 11:20 PM) [snapback]433020[/snapback]</div>
    I think you just got a crap installer, cause my installer had no problems, and my panels look fine. Glad to hear that they are paying for it.

3. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(faith2walk @ May 1 2007, 05:49 AM) [snapback]433118[/snapback]</div>
    Agreed, and same here.

4. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Certainly a crap installer. Mine took the door panels off, then tinted the windows, then put them back on, unmelted.

Nate

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sounds like they tried a shortcut by not removing the door panels first.

6. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not sure if my tint installer took off the door panels or what, but my door panels were not melted and the tint looks great. Sorry to hear about your repair ordeal though, bummer...

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I think it's funny that sometimes Presto makes a post that seems appropriate with his avatar.