1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

TINTING 101

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by RadMarv, Jun 9, 2005.

1. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

Hello [you]

Before making a snap decision to just quickly go to your nearest local tint shop to have your car tinted, I suggest that you do some research and decide which type/brand of tint you want to use.

Most tint dealers/installers carry only very specific brands, not all of them.

Some brands of tint are difficult to find locally and may not be found in many states.

Every brand of tint has different colors, compositions, characteristics, heat rejection, reflectiveness and visable light transmission(VLT=DARKNESS). Nearly all give 99% UV protection.

Warranties differ greatly too. And watch out for those! You may get one with a lifetime warranty against FADING but not COLOR CHANGE.

Every state has its own tint law regarding how every window can or cannot be tinted. Most state laws limit the amount of reflectiveness and VLT allowed on the front side windows, the back side windows and the rear window.

Solar Gard has a very nice State Tint Law chart(Adobe Acrobat Reader required).

View State Tint Law chart

To find out more about tinting check out these links...

Tintcenter

Tintdude Forum

to learn about the different tint film manufacturers check out these links...

Llumar
    FormulaOne
    Madico
    3M
    HuperOptik
    Johnson
    Sungard
    Solar Gard
    Suntek
    V-Kool

There are some others. Some are cheap and some are expensive.

You should also go and check out your dealers/installers and actually view the tints and their work.

Finally, Enjoy your research! Have fun! And enjoy your newly tinted Prius!

2. dreichla

dreichla New Member

Wow - thanks for the homework. I know what I'm going to be doing for a couple of hours!

3. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:b9abb5aa04]Thanks Marv! Your post belongs in the Knowledge Base! I've been reading about tints here on PriusChat in lots of different threads, but never has the information been so concisely presented.

Thanks again![/font:b9abb5aa04]

4. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Funny thing is I never saw this post until this morning and I had my windows tinted several weeks ago. We are restricted in NC in how much we can tint. I did do some research and came up with a Madico dealer. He's been tinting cars for 20 years and gives a liftime guarantee. He did a nice job. Thanks to RadMarv.

5. dawall

dawall New Member

Thanks Marv
    Got the windows tinted shortly after puchasing our car. Went ahead an did the formula one pinnacle 50, at the Concord shop (~$300). It looks real nice on the car, performs well and the the optical quality is great. I appreciate referral.

Thanks again.

Dan

6. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RadMarv\";p=\"96894)</div>

Huh? Why is this directed at me? Is there another "kazu88" on this forum???

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it's a tag.. you can have it display who's reading it.. kinda like a smiley.. just.. code

8. kazu88

kazu88 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"100385)</div>
    thanks. somehow it freaked me out!
    :pukeright:

9. eastercat

eastercat New Member

Thanks for the post. If I ever get my windows
    tinted, I'll use this post for information.

BTW, you might want to mention that states
    (e.g., Georgia) have the right to ticket out of
    state cars for tint that exceeds their regulations.

Thanks again for your work,
    Esther

10. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(V8Cobrakid\";p=\"100385)</div>
    Hey Guys,

Actually, Marv cut and paste from a message he posted in reply to a thread I started a few weeks ago. I am AfonsoSilva!

Thanks again, Marv! Your insight has been of great value. I am currently in contact with a Suntek dealer (quoted a job for $170) and a HuperOptik dealer (no quote yet). I will keep everyone posted on which direction I go.

My major concern is whether tinting the windows will degrade the cell phone and the GPS reception. Any further insight on this, Marv?

11. RadMarv

RadMarv Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AfonsoSilva\";p=\"100403)</div>
    Afonso,

The degrading of the signals is due to metals in the film. HuperOptiks ceramics appearently does contain some metal. Probably, not much. However, some other auto owners (not Prius) have had problems with HuperOptiks and their NAV.

I'd see if your dealer would do what our member silly did prior to tinting. Heres the quote from his message in another thread.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(silly\";p=\"99442)</div>
    I recently did an experiment between my Mazda and Prius. I have heavy tint in the back of the Mazda and set in the center of the back seat with my regular cell phone. I had 1 signal strength bar on it for the most part of 5 minutes. Next I set in the center of the back seat of the Prius and for the most part of 5 minutes I had 3 signal strength bars. Both cars were parked side by side in my driverway. Out side the cars I still got 3 signal strenght bars. I'll definately bet that the tint on the Mazda contans mostly metals. I haven't been able to find my original tinting papers for the Mazda but will keep looking.

BTW, I am looking at getting a bluetooth phone soon. However, Nextel only sells two, so I am looking at the Motorola i605. I still may wait till the merger of Sprint and Nextel to see what they may come up with in bluetooth.

12. AfonsoSilva

AfonsoSilva New Member

Thanks Marv!

I have been contacted by the HuperOptiks installer and I will set up an appointment. Your idea of testing cell phone signals and also the GPS reception is a greant hint!

I will keep you posted!

13. ambrothe

ambrothe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Has anyone had tint applied to their Prius in Ohio? There are so many shady shops around here (Ohio State campus area), and I'd like some referrals if there's anyone out there...